Still here - but need to thin out

Started by biggiesmalls, October 24, 2017, 12:38:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggiesmalls

Hey y'all,

No, I didn't die lol. Still hanging around, haven't had much time to fish though. Picking up more and more shifts at work, and the new girlfriend isn't helping either ;P

I'm still thinking about this thinning out though. I don't remember my original estimate, but I think it was around 9-12 rods depending on how many I picked up along the way.

Now, I think I could get away with three different setups for the boat - a 7' 6-12 lb rod, 2500 spinner, and 20 lb braid for anything under 30 pounds. A 7'6" 15-30 lb rod, 6000 spinner, and 50 lb braid for any bigger fish like tarpon, sharks, grouper, and others. Then a 6'6" 30-50 lb rod, 20-lb conventional reel, and 65 or 80 lb braid for trolling, baiting sharks, jigging, and other stuff.

I could probably manage to get two of those lighter spinners, since I will probably use them for bass fishing and for inshore stuff. I've thought about getting a baitcaster going for bass, but I don't see much of a benefit.
I'll have a light or ultralight setup for panfishing.

Then the beach, I'll have the 9/0 on the 5'something" rod, a 8500 spinfisher on an 11-12' rod, and a 4500 spinfisher on a 9' rod. Not 100% on line plans yet - but thinking the 9/0 will have 600 yards of 130# braid topped with 150# mono. The 8500 spinfisher will have 80-100 yards of 100# braid on top with the rest being 65# braid below. Then probably straight 30# braid on the 4500 (just a bait rod).

Anyways, I'm still alive though. But work, 3 AP's, and a beautiful girl aren't helping my fishing schedule. But I can tell you this - in 2018, the fish had better stock up on some tylenol, because I'll be putting the hurting on them.

Drew

alantani

i dunno, drew.  fishing, work, school, girlfriend?  somethin's gotta give!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

David Hall

Quote from: alantani on October 24, 2017, 01:24:35 AM
i dunno, drew.  fishing, work, school, girlfriend?  somethin's gotta give!   ;D

I vote ditch the job.

Cor

Quote from: David Hall on October 24, 2017, 01:27:41 AM
Quote from: alantani on October 24, 2017, 01:24:35 AM
i dunno, drew.  fishing, work, school, girlfriend?  somethin's gotta give!   ;D

I vote ditch the job.

Experience and my head tells me rather drop the girlfriend, but my heart agrees with you,  drop the job! :) :) :) :)
Cornelis

Caranx

Never ditch the equipment, you will ALWAYS regret it. You will say "I wish I didn't sell it" or " I used the have that but...." etc....
Someone else will end up with your treasures if you get rid of them.
If you don't need the money, keep them!

thorhammer

What caranx said Drew.  At least keep your hands on your Penns.  You'll regret it later.

biggiesmalls

Oh believe me, the Penns are all staying. I'm getting rid of a lot of the older crap laying around, mostly random spinning setups and random lures and terminal stuff. I have so much junk everywhere, I doubt I'll get a ton of money off of this stuff but it'll be a little bit... hopefully enough for a few more reels :)

I've had my eyes on a set of Penn Conflicts. A 1000, a pair of 2500's, and a 6000 for boat and freshwater use. Then the customized 980 Mag and 9/0 for bigger stuff, and a 4500 and 8500 Spinfisher for surf (I like that sealed drag and nice line capacity). I can't imagine I'll need anything else... yet.

Drew

alantani

ok, someone's gotta be the adult in the room and just say it.  sorry drew, dump the girlfriend.  you need the job, you've gotta stay in school, and no one here is going to tell you to give up fishing.  that leaves just one thing.    :-\

MarkT

Really, what advice did you expect to get here?!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

thorhammer

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Decker

Hey, if you're willing to think this far ahead...  One day you'll own that boat, and soon enough will need a crew, first mate, bait boy, etc.   That's where the girlfriend comes in.  If she is a potential wife then there is the possibility of several "mini-biggies" one day.  If the wife is into fishing, they could be home-schooled at sea ;) and all of your dreams could come to fruition.  Think of Wicked Tuna meets the Brady Bunch. ;D

If you're girlfriend isn't into fishing, or isn't conceivably wife material, then you have an existential crisis waiting for you. ::)

alantani

Crow

I wonder how many requests they had for that option ::)!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

philaroman

you guys are too ethical & unimaginative...
get "injured" at work;
while collecting w-comp, take the girlfriend fishing;
bring the lap-top along, for schoolwork (in case the fish and/or girlfriend are uncooperative)