D.A.M. Quick Champion 700b baitcasting reel

Started by mark Hill, May 20, 2020, 05:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark Hill

Does anyone have schematics for the DAM Champion 700b? The anti-reverse dog appears to be 2 separate pieces and requires no spring?? How do you think these reels stack up against the Garcia 5000's... seems to be the typical DAM quality.  PS, I hope you are all doing great in these crazy times!
"Sell a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man how to fish, and he will start collecting and refurbishing old reels"

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mark Hill

Thanks Mo! Hopefully I can get this reel back on the water.
"Sell a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man how to fish, and he will start collecting and refurbishing old reels"

foakes

Mike's right -- excellent reels.  Just as the ABU's are.  Daiwas are also similar -- probably slightly lower in quality -- but tough to notice the difference.

Here is a quick schematic and parts listing.

I have most of the parts for these.  They are the 145 numbers.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

xjchad

The look nice!

So what's the difference between the standard and the "B" models?
Just color?  Or gear ratios?
Husband, Father, Fisherman

mark Hill

Fred, I have a bunch of ABU's, Presidents and Millionaires but this is my first Quick. The Quick will get a good workout and comparison test after it's together...going to be a blast! If I need ANY parts for this reel I will let you know... You're thee guy. I believe the differences are narrow spool models?

foakes

Yeah, there are narrow and regular width's in the 600-700-800 models.

To answer Chads question -- the difference between a regular model and a "B" model is that the "B" has bearings -- the regular numbers have "slide bearings" -- (sleeves).

Both are very good.

These are some of the toughest bait-casters around.  You won't likely need any parts -- unless something has been tweaked or distorted.  And with the exception of springs -- most parts can be put right back into service with a little adjustment.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mark Hill

Well, it's all cleaned and ready to use! The previous owner apparently used recycled old grease that he scraped from the underside of an junkyard bulldozers crank case..lol This old Quick is super smooth...thanks much guys! I love this group!!!!

xjchad

Very cool, thanks for all the info Fred!!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

foakes

Quote from: mark Hill on May 20, 2020, 06:57:30 PM
Well, it's all cleaned and ready to use! The previous owner apparently used recycled old grease that he scraped from the underside of an junkyard bulldozers crank case..lol This old Quick is super smooth...thanks much guys! I love this group!!!!

Show us a photo, Mark -- or hold it a little closer to your computer.  😄😄😄

We need to see your good work!

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

mark Hill

Here are a couple of pictures... Next time I will remember to take some pictures before I totally reassembled a reel.  I have some reels that sit on a shelf and just look pretty, because they are in such great shape...but 90+% of my reels get used.

foakes

Good work, Mark!

Looks like new!

Those are impressive reels both inside and outside -- in material selection, simplicity, and engineering.

Very smooth and powerful.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

mark Hill

Thanks Fred, that means a lot coming from you.

philaroman

were there any L/H or bait(clicker) versions?

thks

foakes

Quote from: philaroman on May 21, 2020, 05:53:27 AM
were there any L/H or bait(clicker) versions?

thks

No left hands.  No clickers.

Silver or black -- 3 sizes width-wise -- 2 versions with either ball bearings or bushing bearings.

Simple, overbuilt, well engineered. 

Due to the typical D.A.M. Engineering and selection of materials that work well with each other -- the tolerances are designed to stay tight -- even after 40 or 50 Years.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.