Penn Long Beach 66 - Need left side plate.

Started by bajaandy, August 09, 2013, 03:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bajaandy

So I've got this old Penn 66 sitting around. Used to be my grandfathers reel, so some sentimental value here...
Anyway, I've been thinking about restoring it, maybe upgrade a bit (if and where possible), and one of the things I'm looking for is a replacement left side plate. The original had the cool marlin pattern on it, but somewhere along the way it got broken. Cracked right in half. Does anyone know where I might be able to find a replacement? Also, other than the dog gear sleeve, new drags and maybe a new handle, what other modifications would you all suggest? I'm not looking to fish it full time, just maybe take it out and land a couple in my grandads memory. I think he'd like that, and so would I. Thanks for your input!
Andy
I tink, therefore I am.

akfish

A Penn 67 side plate will fit and will be much easier to find.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

bajaandy

Thanks for that. Yes, I understand the 66 and 67 are much the same reel, with the 66 having a narrow spool.
I tink, therefore I am.

Ron Jones

PM me your adress, I have a bunch. I canabalize 66s to make fast 113s. If you need anything else from the 66 let me know.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

bajaandy

I tink, therefore I am.

bajaandy

And now the saga continues...
So I got inside to do a cursory rebuild, and I think what I have here is a very old Long Beach 66.

The thing that throws me is the small size of the steel gear. I believe it's steel because I tested it with a magnet. The I.D. of the gear is .850", with a depth of .1915". The washers (brass) and the drags measure an O.D. of .80". In reading up on which drags I need, I've seen numerous references to the #6-60CF drag for a 5 drag stack, or a #6-113 for a three drag stack. Am I mistaken, or are those drags simply to big to fit this reel? Also, there is a slight recess machined into the back side of the gear. Would this obstruct using a CF drag under the gear?

Note the slight recess in the back side of the gear.

So my question is: Which drags do I need to put this old girl back together?
I tink, therefore I am.

Ron Jones

Andy,

That is a standard 66 steel gear. You can use a 60 washer for a 5+1 stack and that is what I recommend. I think the metal and carbontex all together is like $25.00 shipped from Dawn. Or you can put a set together with 60 washers for about half that. It makes a really smooth reel. You can also go hog wild with other upgrades, but the drag is a great start.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

bajaandy

I'm not convinced that I can use the 5+1 set in this gear. The stock drag set consists of three stock fiber drags at about .025 thickness each and three metal (brass) washers at about .041 thickness each for a total stack of about .200. The depth of the inside of the gear is about .192. I just don't see how I'm gonna fit five drags and 5 metals into that little gear. I contacted Dawn with these specs and she doesn't think I can do the 5+1. She did however think that she had replacements for the stock drags, so I guess that's what I'm gonna have to do.
I tink, therefore I am.

RowdyW

Hi bajandy, it looks like you have main & pinion gears out of a Penn 60 or 65. I guess that they were switched at one time. If that is so then you will have to use a 1+3 set up as in a 60 & 65.

Bryan Young

Do you guys see a need for thin metal washers to create a 5+1 stack for this reel?  Sal's been asking and im not absolutely convinced.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

RowdyW

Hi Bryan, we already have a 1+5 stack for the 66,67, 68 using stock factory parts.  Are you talking about a 1+5 stack for a 60&65?  Sal already talked about using 66 gears in a 60 or 65 & dremeling out the side plate to use a 1+5 stack. I guess if somebody wants a 1+5 setup bad enough that would be the way to go.   Rudy

Alto Mare

You're right Rudy, but I rather have Bryan's kit, its much easier.
Bryan, why wouldn't they want some? The Squidder is the same as the Jigmaster, just a little slower.
The main gear might be stronger on the squidder, due to beefier teeth .
Increasing the drags a bit would make the reel much smoother at its original max drags.
That goes for most reels. I've found that out from some of the tests that I've been doing.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

Hi Sal, easier might or might not be better but how else are we going to have fun experimenting?  ;D  Rudy

George4741

Quote from: RowdyW on August 14, 2013, 02:25:37 AM
Hi bajandy, it looks like you have main & pinion gears out of a Penn 60 or 65. I guess that they were switched at one time. If that is so then you will have to use a 1+3 set up as in a 60 & 65.

I agree with Rudy.  That isn't a -66 main gear.  Andy, if you want a 1+5 drag stack, then you are much better off returning your reel to stock specifications and getting a 5-66 main and a 13-49 pinion gear.

Rudy,
With all of your gear swapping and extra parts, did you ever try to fit a 113 bridge and pinion gear in a 66? 

George
viurem lliures o morirem

bajaandy

Quote from: RowdyW on August 14, 2013, 02:25:37 AM

Well, grandpa Ben was a tinkerer. Where do you think I got it from? I suppose those gears could've been swapped out at some time, but I really doubt it. Long story short, I don't need to do the 5+1 drags on this reel. I just wanna get her back to working order to land a fish and then pass it on to my son Ben so he can keep the legacy alive.
I tink, therefore I am.