Penn Long Beach 66 - Need left side plate.

Started by bajaandy, August 09, 2013, 03:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

No need to, Andy.  The 65 has screw holes for 4 posts and the 66 has 6 posts, just like the photo in your first post. Additionally, the 66 has a larger diameter side plate.
viurem lliures o morirem

bajaandy

I get the post differences, but I'm curious why some folks are saying this looks more like a 65 than a 66. I was just hoping to see the differences.
I tink, therefore I am.

George4741

Quote from: bajaandy on August 16, 2013, 03:03:43 AM
I get the post differences, but I'm curious why some folks are saying this looks more like a 65 than a 66. I was just hoping to see the differences.

The only thing unusual I see is the 5-60 main gear.  All of the other stuff is typical of an early Longbeach 66.  The   3-60 bridge was replaced with a 3-66 in newer reels.

BTW in my photo of the main gear and bridge, don't let the hefty spacer sleeve confuse you.  That is out of my Senator 2/0, which uses the same main gear as a Longbeach 66 is SUPPOSED to, part #5-66.  Your spacer sleeve is correct for an early 66.
viurem lliures o morirem

Ron Jones

So early 66s had the chrome ring in the plate? None of mine have it. Funny, they all have steel gears. Guess they went through several changes along the way.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Bajaandy, I see a sticky coming ;). You've created lots of discussions with your post, some worthless and some priceless, most of the worthless are from me ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Quote from: noyb72 on August 16, 2013, 04:09:57 AM
So early 66s had the chrome ring in the plate? None of mine have it. Funny, they all have steel gears. Guess they went through several changes along the way.
Ron

Yup!  BTW I see some Longbeach 66 sideplates on ebay where the hole is much enlarged, as if for easy access to the drags.  I've never seen that before.  Comments, anyone?

I had an early Longbeach 65 with a chrome sleeve pressed into the sideplate, too, just like Andy's 66.  I believe the newer 65's don't have that, either.  This reel was the ugliest, most pitted reel I've ever had, but had the longest freespool of any of my reels.   
viurem lliures o morirem

bajaandy

Well, the old 66 is back together again. New Carbontex Smooth Drags (turned out the be the Penn 140 set). I left the original brass drag washers in, just cleaned them up and lapped them on some 600 grit. The cross bars are pretty pitted and corroded, but that's only looks. I suppose if I get a wild hair I could swap those out for some new ones. I doubt if I'll ever go that far. Anyway, here's what it looks like back together. I had an extra handle left over from another reel, so I put that on. Gonna take it out and see how it does. No reason to expect it won't do just fine. Thanks again to everyone for input and advice. And thanks Ron for the left side plate!

I tink, therefore I am.

Ron Jones

glad to see it got there. go catch some fish!
Ronald
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

bajaandy

Thanks again Ron. I am bummed that I broke the original. It was the fancy one with the lighthouse and boat pattern on the surface. Kinda dome shaped (at least more than the one you sent), but everything fit back together just fine.
I tink, therefore I am.