Penn 113mtl

Started by JasonF, November 21, 2013, 04:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

Yeah...that's what I thought. SS I hope and would they fit a 113h?.
luck is the residue of design.

JasonF

The insides are pretty much like any other Senator.  The only thing that I see that I do not like is the lack of a SS gear sleeve.  Does anyone know where to find one for this reel?  Is it the same as a 113h sleeve?  I wish that they had offset the dogs to cut down on reverse instead of clicking simultaneously.  I am just going to put some Cal's on the drag washers, grease everything else, and take it offshore next break in the weather!

floating doc

Very cool reel. Good score!  I've never seen one.  When were they made?
Central Florida

JasonF

It is US, for just a couple of years until 2009 (correct me if I am wrong).

day0ne

Quote from: JasonF on November 22, 2013, 02:49:52 AM
The insides are pretty much like any other Senator.  The only thing that I see that I do not like is the lack of a SS gear sleeve.  Does anyone know where to find one for this reel?  Is it the same as a 113h sleeve?  I wish that they had offset the dogs to cut down on reverse instead of clicking simultaneously.  I am just going to put some Cal's on the drag washers, grease everything else, and take it offshore next break in the weather!

Actually the insides are not like any other senator and no, the 113H gear sleeve won't fit
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

JasonF

Really?  Every senator that I have ever worked on has the same inner workings as this reel.  The bridge being integrated into the side plate is the only thing that makes this different other than what stuff is made of.  Functionally identical.

Ron Jones

I wish we could get someone to make a 3 sided frame for Senators like that. It just seems cleaner and the way it should be done.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

john2244

Ron,

Progear did make a three sided frame for a standard size Penn Senator 4/0 reel about 12 years ago.   The frame is blue/purple in color, I have one.  I believe soon after is when they started making the following model reels that have the guts of Penn 4/0 reel:  545, 541, 454, 440, and 441.  Most models of Progear reels have a three sided aluminum frame.

John

Ron Jones

OK,
I forgot to add the word AGAIN! The design just makes sence to me.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

JasonF

What do you guys mean by 3 sided frame?  Ive never heard that term.

Bryan Young

I wonder if you could interchange the gears with a 113H?  It looks like the 113H gear sleeve may fit but you would need to redo the dog pins and sit it in another location since the gear sleeve rachet on the 113H has a greater diameter.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

I see what your talking about Bryan, but I think smaller dogs might do it.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

JasonF

We will find out shortly.  Alan has a SS 113h sleeve on the way to me.  Ill make it work.

Ron Jones

This is a little off topic, but I noticed on pennparts that this reel uses the 30-16vs stand. The stand looks like it is just the foot that bolts to the frame. Can anyone verify this? If I am seeing things correctly I think I can use this for some other projects.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Bunnlevel Sharker

Quote from: JasonF on November 22, 2013, 06:10:42 PM
What do you guys mean by 3 sided frame?  Ive never heard that term.
Frame and left side plate
Grayson Lanier