Stainless steel drag stars

Started by Three se7ens, March 05, 2014, 12:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

Here ya go shark hunter, test fitting the first one.

Irish Jigger

Gladiator Chariots springs to mind.
Hope the AR dogs hold ;)

Alto Mare

Very nice Three7ens. You know, eventually we will get your name ;D
I'm sure Daron will put some shine to it, just make sure you have two dogs on that reel ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Three se7ens

I got the tap for the small sleeve drag stars, and it's not a very good fit. It goes on easy, but is very loose. I'll do some more research on it, as I have an idea of what it may be. A long time ago, numbered screw sizes went up to 30 something. Modern screw sizes are fractional after #12. The tap I tried that didn't work was a 13/32-32 tpi.

Good news though, I have 10 of the 3" drag stars and 1 2.5" drag star cut out of 316 stainless. I'll be tapping them for the 1/2" diameter gear sleeve this weekend. $14 plus shipping for the 2.5" and $16 plus shipping for the 3". First availability goes to the people who have already requested them in this thread, and once these are gone I will cut another batch.

Name is Adam btw.

BMITCH

Adam, the stars look great! The 3" is for the 113h? If so I'll take two. The shark arm only needs a bottle opener on the end ::) ;D
luck is the residue of design.

Three se7ens

Now there's an idea. You cant lose a bottle opener that's part of the reel handle

BMITCH

How bout this...different kinds of fish?? Maybe tuna,wahoo,tarpon? There ya go a ready made business.
luck is the residue of design.

LTM

Threesevens,

Here's the contact info for my go-to machine shop supplies, he has LOTS of taps:

Nate's Industrial Tools Inc
22904 S Western Ave, Torrance, CA ‎
(310) 325-6262

Leo

Topshot

Man I want a shark crank arm sooooo bad!!
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Three se7ens on March 08, 2014, 10:14:40 PM
Here ya go shark hunter, test fitting the first one.

AWESOME! No bottle opener. I like it just like it is! ;) Thank you Seven. ;D
I'll have one for you Chris! Gladiator Chariots Indeed Tom! ;D
Life is GOOD!!!!!!
Life is Good!

Topshot

If you really look at it, the shark mouth is a perfect bottle opener!
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

jurelometer

Quote from: Three se7ens on March 08, 2014, 11:58:43 PM
I got the tap for the small sleeve drag stars, and it's not a very good fit. It goes on easy, but is very loose. I'll do some more research on it, as I have an idea of what it may be. A long time ago, numbered screw sizes went up to 30 something. Modern screw sizes are fractional after #12. The tap I tried that didn't work was a 13/32-32 tpi.

Good news though, I have 10 of the 3" drag stars and 1 2.5" drag star cut out of 316 stainless. I'll be tapping them for the 1/2" diameter gear sleeve this weekend. $14 plus shipping for the 2.5" and $16 plus shipping for the 3". First availability goes to the people who have already requested them in this thread, and once these are gone I will cut another batch.

Name is Adam btw.

Hi Adam,

I found a very old  old text (1914)  online that lists a size 26  as a .404 major diameter.    Had only a 16 TPI listed.   All my sleeves measure  to .403 but that could be my cheapo digital caliper.   I think Keta posted a .404 size.

Since 13/32 is .406 and since a class 2b fit allows ~.007  variance  (approx from 7/16x32), I am surprised that 13/32 wouldn't work for a .404
BTW- I measured the thread count on the fine thread jigmaster sleeve to be 24 TPI.  Is there more than one fine thread size?

I have zero experience tapping thin stainless stock but from what I read, thin stock  approaching down to sheet metal thickness is supposed to have a higher percentage thread-  75% - 85% thread.  But it seems that experienced machinists want a fat tap hole for stainless.

Do you think a smaller tap drill size would help?

I'm going to try to tap a star for the coarse posts with 13/32 x20  and a .358 (75%) tap drill.   If it come out too loose I will be felling pretty stoopid :-)

Irish Jigger

There appears to be some confusion here regarding Penn Gear Sleeves.
The common Penn Gear Sleeve (98-60) measures 0."404 dia x 24tpi.
The common Star(10-60) is  0."104 (12swg) thick and has 2.50 full internal threads.
The tapping size for this Star is 23/64"dia.

The fine thread Gear Sleeve/Star is another kettle of fish as is the larger 98-320 Gear Sleeve/Star.

Three se7ens

I tapped the hole using my milling machine, turning the spindle by hand. The hole was actually a little under the nominal ID for the threads, so theoretically, it should have been 100% thread depth.   It wasn't even close though, far outside of the thread tolerance range.  But that was on my 113hn sleeve, which measures .391 x 32 tpi.  The threads look like they may be 55 degree instead of 60, which means that one may be m10 x .8.  By the numbers, that's the closest match.

I don't have a .404 x 24 tpi gear sleeve, but if someone has one they can lend me, I can determine the thread.  If not myself, there are a few machine shops I deal with that would be able to identify it.

My 113h has 1/2" x 32 tpi threads.  I have test fit the SS stars in that size and they fit great.

LTM

Adam,

Whats the latest on these star drags?

Leo