Stainless steel drag stars

Started by Three se7ens, March 05, 2014, 12:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

Quote from: LTM on March 25, 2014, 07:25:28 PM
Adam,

Whats the latest on these star drags?

Leo

I have 10 drag stars for the 113h with 1/2" diameter gear sleeve ready to ship out. Still working on the other sizes, including procuring a tap for the 114H/115.

jurelometer

Quote from: Irish Jigger on March 11, 2014, 02:05:47 AM
There appears to be some confusion here regarding Penn Gear Sleeves.
The common Penn Gear Sleeve (98-60) measures 0."404 dia x 24tpi.
The common Star(10-60) is  0."104 (12swg) thick and has 2.50 full internal threads.
The tapping size for this Star is 23/64"dia.

The fine thread Gear Sleeve/Star is another kettle of fish as is the larger 98-320 Gear Sleeve/Star.

The confusion is all mine :)  for some reason I got the thread count mixed up.  Agree that the 98-60 is the sleeve that  is 24 TPI.  I even measured it before I posted.    Don't know where the 20 TPI leaked into my brain.

If I get something to work for the 98-60 or 98-505 I will post it.

Thanks for the correction.

Irish Jigger

Nice work there guys.
Has the possibility of "thread galling" (cold welding) been considered when applying load via the star to the threads of these stainless steel components?
A proprietary molybdenum disulphide or graphite grease may be worth considering if issues are experienced.

Three se7ens

Quote from: Irish Jigger on March 29, 2014, 12:24:08 PM
Nice work there guys.
Has the possibility of "thread galling" (cold welding) been considered when applying load via the star to the threads of these stainless steel components?
A proprietary molybdenum disulphide or graphite grease may be worth considering if issues are experienced.

Galling is primarily from localized heating of the threads due to friction, but I don't think there will be enough movement of the star to pose a problem. Any grease should be adequate.

broadway

Adam,
   Let me know when you've got 4 for my 113h work horses with ss sleeves.
Good luck with the project... I like the design but I love the stainless.
Thanks
Dom

Three se7ens

I have 8 of the 3" ones available at the moment.  If you want the 2.5", I'll have more cut by the end of the week.  Sal got the only 2.5" one from my last batch.

If you have something in mind for a different design, send me a drawing or pic and I'll see what I can do.  I do the programming for the waterjet shop I work at. 

Alto Mare

Adam, I just received the star, thank you! The cutting is great no rough spots anywhere , you must have some nice equipment.
Now about the star, I would like to have mine in the same thickness as the stock from Penn, I'm not crazy about thin stars. Penn is 3.25mm and yours 2.60mm.
Also, the tap that you're using doesn't match the angle of the threads on the sleeve.
I'm getting 30lb with some of my custom 4/0's and I would definitely not trust your star on those, it's too wobbly  and thin.
If you're going to make adjustments I would try again.
You did a great job cutting, but I rather have the shape as I showed you earlier, here is a photo:

I really like the shape of the one on the right, also, 2 3/4" would be perfect for the 4/0.
Thanks for offering these, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Three se7ens

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 03, 2014, 09:47:12 PM
Adam, I just received the star, thank you! The cutting is great no rough spots anywhere , you must have some nice equipment.
Now about the star, I would like to have mine in the same thickness as the stock from Penn, I'm not crazy about thin stars. Penn is 3.25mm and yours 2.60mm.
Also, the tap that you're using doesn't match the angle of the threads on the sleeve.
I'm getting 30lb with some of my custom 4/0's and I would definitely not trust your star on those, it's too wobbly  and thin.
If you're going to make adjustments I would try again.
You did a great job cutting, but I rather have the shape as I showed you earlier, here is a photo:

I really like the shape of the one on the right, also, 2 3/4" would be perfect for the 4/0.
Thanks for offering these, Sal

I'll make some adjustments to the shape.  As for the thickness, I should have double checked the sheet.  They were supposed to be cut from .125" sheet, but are actually measuring at .106' which is 12 gauge.  My 113h star is measuring .126" and the 115 star measures .135". Next time I'll be sure they use 10 gauge, which measures .135".

The threads are correct, but the pitch diameter limit of the tap is higher than I'd like.  It's GH3, and I probably need GL3 or smaller.  I'm looking for a new tap anyways, as that one broke. I double checked my original 113h sleeve, and it is 32 threads per inch, using 60 degree threads.  The major diameter is .496" though, which is quite low for 1/2-32. 

I tried to strip one out on a gear sleeve, and is wasnt successful...

Alto Mare

Quote from: Three se7ens on April 03, 2014, 11:01:35 PM
I tried to strip one out on a gear sleeve, and is wasnt successful...
You're absolutely right Adam, I tried a little test of my own and couldn't get it to strip also

I'm ok with that lose fit, it will probably make adjusting the drag easier. try to make them thicker, even a little thicker than Penn's would be ok.
How about that shape that I like, could you do something similar?
Thanks! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Three se7ens

The shape is no problem.  The next step we typically stock above .135" is 3/16 though, which is probably a bit thick for the smaller reels, but may work once I get a tap sourced for the buttress threads on the bigger models. 

I could order an in between size, but I'm a little hesitant to drop the money on special ordering material until I know the demand is there. 

The machines are incredible when they aren't broken.  The one I cut those on has been down for 2 weeks though,  and just got fixed yesterday, after $20k worth of new parts...

Shark Hunter

Tell your Boss we said Thanks! ;D
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Three se7ens on April 04, 2014, 01:19:31 AM
The shape is no problem.  The next step we typically stock above .135" is 3/16 though, which is probably a bit thick for the smaller reels, but may work once I get a tap sourced for the buttress threads on the bigger models. 

I could order an in between size, but I'm a little hesitant to drop the money on special ordering material until I know the demand is there. 

The machines are incredible when they aren't broken.  The one I cut those on has been down for 2 weeks though,  and just got fixed yesterday, after $20k worth of new parts...
I'm hoping my star didn't cause $20K in damage ;D
My opinion is for you to use what you could get your hands on, I understand that those could get up there,  I personally wouldn't pay more than what you're charging for one, not that it isn't a good price, I believe it's fair.
Demand is important, I would probably want one or two more. It might be best to see if there is an interest for those first.
Sal

broadway

I'd be in on 4 for my 113h's. Gotta take 'em to the limit!
20k, and you still wanna play with us... you're alright in my book ;)
Thanks
Dom

Dominick

I'm in for 114 - 9/0 when you do those.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"