Penn 113H has no real drag...

Started by hippie, March 07, 2014, 02:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hippie

It does make sense that the spacer could be "bottoming out" as that would cause the problem. I will check that but I doubt it because I should have noticed that.

As to how much drag- I don't know. My weigh scale is on my boat 200 miles away. I can tell you all that my 309 and 329 each have more drag than these two reels. I just put new HT-100 washers and converted from a 1+3 stack to a 1+5 stack in a 68 and it also has more drag tension when pulling line off. Both at "startup" and a continuous pull.

Oh, I forgot, my umbrellas are about 12" from end to end and are only 4 arms, (2-12" pieces crossed).
I was trying to run them without additional weight and only had 8-4" shads on the arms and 1-6oz parachute running down the center for bait. These reels should certainly pull those!

Thank you again, Bob

hippie

I've been thinking...if a person was to take a pair of channel lock pliers and tighten down the star as tight as it will go, then shouldn't that result in the drag not allowing any line to pull off the spool? In essence,Bob causing the drag to "freeze up".   Bob

maxpowers

Bob,

Sometime the spacer may just barely touch the side and hung up giving you the impression that it was fully down.  Only when you tightened the drag does the spacer start sliding down.  Ideally once fully tightened you should still have a little less than .500 mm of the spacer sticking out..

hippie

ok men, I retrieved my scale so here are the drag numbers; both of my 113's have a startup at 7 lbs. I measured the startup on one #68 at 11 lbs and the other #68 at 14 lbs. All four reels had the star drag tightened down as far as possible without using pliers, only fingers. Clearly the 113's are the weak link!

Thanks to all who responded and offered advice, Bob

Ron Jones

Something isn't right, those numbers are way low, even for 3 asbestos disks. You can't be compressing the drag sufficiently.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

Is the spool slipping on the shaft?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

Bryan, I wouldn't think that would happen to all 3 reels. One of the 68s numbers make sence but the other two seem really low.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Do you have Spectra on these reels?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

hippie

ok men, First off I have two 113's, both have a 1+5 drag system. The two #68's both have a 1+5 drag system. I got the 113's brand new and only tried to troll with them once but could not do so because of the drag. No, none of my reels have braid, they all have 40 lb Andre mono. How do I check to see if the spool is slipping? Thank you, Bob

Alto Mare

Did you try a different spring washer? A soft one will do what you're experiencing. Your numbers are low,  it has to be related to your drag stack.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

hippie

No, I did not try a new spring washer. It does make sense that the washer could be causing my troubles. I'll check the washer and post back.  Thank you, Bob

hippie

I have been studying the schematics and just now noticed that after tearing these reels apart numerous times that I never noticed, on either 113H, a part numbered 15A-113H. It is listed as an insert but I never noticed any such part in either reel. Could that missing part cause the drag to be so light?
Thank you, Bob

Bryan Young

Quote from: hippie on March 25, 2014, 08:22:16 PM
ok men, First off I have two 113's, both have a 1+5 drag system. The two #68's both have a 1+5 drag system. I got the 113's brand new and only tried to troll with them once but could not do so because of the drag. No, none of my reels have braid, they all have 40 lb Andre mono. How do I check to see if the spool is slipping? Thank you, Bob
Bob, if you open your reel, take a permanent marker and mark the spool shaft and spool with a line that matches us. Then reinstall and tighten the drags and pull the line then open up the reel again to see if there were any shifts in the line drawn.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

hippie

Bryan, Thank you, that is what I didn't know how to do. I will get on that today and post back the results.

Alto, I'll look around for another spring washer but it seems odd that the spring washer would go bad on both 113's. And to the point where both washers are the same weakness so as it has the very same startup weight on each reel?

Thank you again, Bob

Keta

If there was a material problem and the reels were from the same run it could happen.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain