Penn 113H has no real drag...

Started by hippie, March 07, 2014, 02:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Bob,

we are probably not on the same page. this were my suggestions;

main gear-CF-keyed washer-CF-eared washer-CF-keyed washer-CF-eared washer-CF-keyed washer-#8A-Right Side Plate-#9-#8-Star (this configuration is what most of us have. the others have a 7+1 drag stack or something else  ;D ;D ;D

or

main gear-CF-keyed washer-CF-eared washer-CF-keyed washer-CF-eared washer-CF-keyed washer-keyed washer-#8A-Right Side Plate-#9-#8-Star

or

main gear-CF-keyed washer-CF-eared washer-CF-keyed washer-CF-eared washer-CF-keyed washer-#8A-Right Side Plate-#9-#8-your 6th washer(which i'll call a regular washer)-Star

not 3 washers before #8A

and let me add this one, my 113H's configuration;

main gear-CF-keyed washer-CF-eared washer-CF-keyed washer-CF-eared washer-CF-keyed washer-#8A-Right Side Plate-#9-#8-keyed washer-Star

The one I had been working on was the way you men said with only 2 washers at the top of the stack

but these 2 washers should be keyed. what i see at the top of your stack is keyed washer-regular washer(if i may say so).

my eyes are probably failing me but i don't think you did any of my suggested configurations.

but since Sal(our resident Penn engineer) will help you, these suggested configurations doesn't matter anymore. and i'm sure he'll figure it out.

man i hope my proof reading is still excellent... ;D ;D ;D

hippie

Mel B, Your top configuration is how mine were. With that setup and sequence I was getting 7 lbs of "startup drag" on each reel. Then yesterday I added metal washers and now have 5 metal washers that are "metal to metal". The stack now compresses and I'm getting 16 lbs at "startup". But really men, this should not be set up like this- something is still wrong.
Byran, I understand what you are saying because it appeared that way to me too. The spring washer will not go over the spacer sleeve. I checked that out before.
Maxpowers, You may have something there! The spacer sleeve was not hanging up because I watched the sleeve go in as I turned the star and I could feel the drag star getting harder to turn (tightening). But since I have to put all the additional metal washers on top of the stack to get the drag to compress, why can't I do away with the additional metal washers and go with a longer spacer sleeve? Logic says that will cause the stack to compress and henceforth more drag poundage! You men are the experts, I'm just an idiot trying to get the reels set up the right way, so does that make sense to you men? Would someone please post the correct length of the proper spacer sleeve so I can measure mine and determine if it is too short. I had searched for this before, however, the schematics do not contain the length of the sleeve.

Thank you all, Bob

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

something is definitely not right. just two more things, is 8A oriented this way )? and is 8 oriented this way (? probably does not matter...

Bryan Young

The last thing I can think of what could be wrong is that the metal drag washers are either hanging up on the gear sleeve or the main gear not allowing a full compression of all drag washers.

Try pulling the gear out and can you take a picture of the gear sleeve then the internals of the main gear? 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

I stopped wasting my grey matter when Bob said he was sending the reel to Sal.  We'll get a report from the wizard.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

Quote from: Dominick on March 30, 2014, 01:44:05 AM
I stopped wasting my grey matter when Bob said he was sending the reel to Sal.  We'll get a report from the wizard.  Dominick
That's a good thing, I doubt you have much grey matter left after chasing all those Pescas!! ;D ;D
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

I'm with you on the grey matter Dominick. ;)
Lets finish this! :-\
Life is Good!

Irish Jigger

Quote from: Dominick on March 30, 2014, 01:44:05 AM
Agreed Dom,this saga is enough to drive one to drink. ;D
Let Sal put us out of our misery here.

OldSchool

phillyguy

BY>I've studied your pictures and looking at your drag stack order

Is the ID of the last metal drag washer (#7) deformed?  The metal drag washer right before the #8 tension washer.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

hippie

No, not that I noticed. It fits like the others, but I have no way of telling if it is hanging up. Thanks, Bob

Shark Hunter

Your last washer on top of the gear has been rounded. Some of the others look rounded too. Sal said he contacted you and you never got back with him. Missing out on Meeting Sal is like saying I don't want any water in the Desert! :P
If you want these reels fixed. Sal is your Man. I think everyone here has tried to help. ;D
Life is Good!