Penn 113H has no real drag...

Started by hippie, March 07, 2014, 02:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hippie

Hello men, I was given two brand new reels, 113H's, red side plate, (never used) and when I tried to troll a 4 arm umbrella rig with no weight the reels couldn't pull them. I had the star turned the entire way down on both reels and they just let line out. I plan on taking them apart to see what the problem is but what do I want to look for? These were made the last year before Penn moved their operations to Japan. I've only tried fishing with them that 1 time!    Thank you, Bob

Keta

Are the ears on the top eared washer out of the groove and catchng on the rim of the gear?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

BMITCH

Quote from: Keta on March 07, 2014, 02:59:49 PM
Are the ears on the top eared washer out of the groove and catchng on the rim of the gear?

X2
luck is the residue of design.

Shark Hunter

Bob,
With all the great Tutorials in the Senator Section. You should have no problem fixing these. That's why I like the Senators so much. Simple Design and tough as nails! >:(
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

The other thing is that if the reel has been oiled...a lot, the drags may be contaminated with oil and will not function very well.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

Another thing, which makes you feel silly if your the one who did it, could be that the last time the reels were opened up a bellville or something else wasn't included and so the star isn't actually compressing anything.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

SacFly

Quote from: noyb72 on March 07, 2014, 07:00:31 PM
Another thing, which makes you feel silly if your the one who did it, could be that the last time the reels were opened up a bellville or something else wasn't included and so the star isn't actually compressing anything.
Ron
Yup.  Also if it was stored with the drag tightened, the bellville can get flattened, causing the same problem.

borchcl

DaBigOno

Quote from: borchcl on March 08, 2014, 04:04:36 AM

Line slipping on spool?

X2,  especially if you have spectra on the bottom
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

hippie

OK, I took both reels apart today and as I see it both are missing the same washer. The washer behind the main gear is so small and thin (made out of plastic or something but not at all like the actual drag washers). Then looking at a schematic, the eared washer gets a fibre washer on top which is followed by two metal washers together. This is where I am missing one of those washers. In the metal washer kit it shows 6 metal washers but in my reels there are only 5 metal washers. So when I tighten on the star it is not compressing all the washers tight enough to reach max drag. Sound right? Also, not a speck of grease on the washers but plenty sloped every where on the inside.

Thank you, Bob

Ron Jones

The fiber washer is what the factory has provided for the last few years. I think you are describing a missing metal drag washer, but I'd have to see what exactly you have.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

BMITCH

Bob, if you can just post a pic of your drag stack and it'll be easy to tell what the deal is.
luck is the residue of design.

hippie

Here are some pics with more to come.

hippie

Here are the additional pics.  Thank you men.