Penn 113H has no real drag...

Started by hippie, March 07, 2014, 02:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

this thread made me test mine (5+1 drags) and lifted an 11lb weight with almost 4/5 turn of the star left. something is definitely not working properly...hope you find the culprit.

Bryan Young

Quote from: noyb72 on March 25, 2014, 08:04:49 PM
Bryan, I wouldn't think that would happen to all 3 reels. One of the 68s numbers make sence but the other two seem really low.
Ron
Ron,

For the 68s with a 3 drag stack in the main gear, 10-15# of drag is very common, and not all 3 reels.

My only concern is the 113H.  The reel should easily reach 15-20# of drag.  If he is consistenly getting 7#, then there is something else that is wrong.  As it cannot be the drive system.   Hippie indicated that it was not the line, so my only other deduction is the spool itself.

I have had seen only 2 spools spin on the spool shaft, so I don't know if this is the problem, but suspect that it is.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 26, 2014, 05:09:26 PM
Hippie indicated that it was not the line, so my only other deduction is the spool itself.

I have had seen only 2 spools spin on the spool shaft, so I don't know if this is the problem, but suspect that it is.

Bryan

x2 taking into consideration that the rest of the equation is correct.

Keta

This might have been addresses earlier but is your drag stack, CF, keyed, CF, eared, CF, keyed, CF, eared, CF, keyed?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Bob:  Where are you located?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

You beat me too it Dominick. I think someone needs to look at these reels. ;)
Life is Good!

Keta

X3, I was about to have him ship it to me to look over.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Quote from: Keta on March 26, 2014, 05:45:24 PM
X3, I was about to have him ship it to me to look over.
X2 

Was thinking the same thing...but I know the satisfaction of figuring it out yourself and fixing it yourself.

We are here as your first, middle and last resort Hippie.

So before you throw your reel off the boat like this guy did, send it to one of us and maybe we can help you figure it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjgvMRlpqUY&feature=player_embedded
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

hippie

I live in Lancaster, Pa. and have a home in the Ocean Pines, Md. The reels are with me in Lancaster. You men say the word and I can meet you where ever you want. Let me check this spool shaft and tension washer first and I'll post the findings.  Thank you all again, Bob

Shark Hunter

We have a very knowledgeable member here that is in Havertown.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Hi Bob,

It appears that you are about 1.5 hours from Sal's (Alto Mare) location.  He may be the closest best bet you have in trouble shooting the lack of drag, and he probably has parts available to fix it as well.

Bryan

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

hi bob! SAl AKA Alto Mare is our resident penn engineer... :)

Dominick

Quote from: Mel B on March 26, 2014, 10:05:08 PM
hi bob! SAl AKA Alto Mare is our resident penn engineer... :)
...and he works cheap.  A bottle of Zin will make him happy.   ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Dominick on March 27, 2014, 12:38:50 AM
...and he works cheap.  A bottle of Zin will make him happy.   ;D Dominick

and Dominick will even directly send it to Sal... ;) :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

hippie

Well I checked the spool to see if it is spinning on the shaft. I did just as Bryan suggested and it appears not to be spinning. The marks did not change! 

I did as Sal suggested and tried to check the tension washer. Since I don't know if either are any good I put two tension washers back to back (located directly under the star) and it took the startup weight to 12 lbs.

We are still far away from 20 lbs so what do you men suggest?

Thank you, Bob