Show your Collections!

Started by Shark Hunter, March 09, 2014, 05:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Good Stuff Adam. I really like the Silver ones too.
Life is Good!

Three se7ens

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 13, 2015, 04:02:55 AM
Very nice Adam, I'm surprised you didn't make a custom handle for that 113HLW.
I see the 9/0 is ready for action, are you going anywhere?
Sal

The 9/0 is almost done, I believe the only thing Im lacking now is stainless gears so I can really lean on the drag if need be(ill need a harness too at that point).  The 4/0 has just begun, but its a solid start.  I have a stainless sleeve for it and the drag kit, and the handle, but still need a knob.  Im leaning towarda a round eva knob like I have on my Daiwa spinner.  Double dogs are on the to do list too. 

No set plans yet, but I hardly got a chance to fish offshore last year, and Im not letting that happen again.  And theres lots of big stuff where I fish, including a hammerhead thats 14'+. 

Penn Chronology

QuoteInsert Quote

You are looking at 1/2 of one shelf out of 9 shelves.  I have a few bayonets.  And helmets.  And fishing reels, of course.  My wife calls this room the museum.  She is not saying it in a nice way, mind you.

I have been collecting all my life, so I understand the passion. I actually make myself sell, as well as buy, because becoming a Hoarder scares me. What always impresses me is when a collection is neat. I think that is what makes the difference between collecting and accumulating. If it is a mess, then the respect for the items in the collection has been lost . Those are the neatest set of bayonets I have ever seen.

Shark Hunter

Mike,
I can only be as neat as my free time allows. So I guess I am in between a Hoarder and an accumulator.  ;D
I really need a Museum room. I have the space, just not enough Time.
Unutt, We need to see more of the Room! ;D
I say that in a Good Way. :D
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

QuoteI can only be as neat as my free time allows.

I understand that completely. I am not finding fault, I am just saying what impresses me. I am no where as neat as I would like to be because of time and space.

On that note, since we are in a collections thread, I would like to add one of the favorite Penn reels in my collection. A friend of mine found a dirty old, cut up reel in a barn somewhere in Northern California. He got the reel for next to nothing and sent me some pictures of it. I immediately felt I needed to have it, so I offered him about $50.00 for it and we made the deal. Here is what I saw and received:

Basically a cut up, old Penn 66 with no handle, extremely dirty, non functioning, missing parts bucket reel. Or so we thought! I took the reel down and had a old torpedo handle I was going to add to the reel but changed my mind after I started cleaning and looking at things.

The parts cleaned up like they were never near salt water. They had handling marks, little chips and scratches but for the reel's age, the clean up went better than expected. And there were other discoveries.

The vintage of the reel was the late 1930's, very possibly 1935 or I like to think that. The spool was cut very neat and the chrome plating was on the cut edge as well as the spool. Extreme care was taken to cut the side plates in order to demonstrate the internal works of the reel and also maintain the reel in a fully functioning capacity.

The bridge, jack, eccentric and yoke were either chrome plated or German Silver:

When I finally fully assembled the reel, it operates perfectly. I feel it is a very first salesman's cutaway reel. The reel is a Long Beach 66 and the 1935 or 36 introduction date of this reel would fit in perfectly in the California push by Penn in the early 1930's to get their products to the West Coast and try to grab a piece of the market share in California.

I don't think I will ever part with this reel, but I always ask if anyone else has ever found a cutaway of any other conventional reel? I feel they must be very rare. I know that Penn has given to selected dealers, cutaways of spinning reels, modern and vintage Spinfishers, but this is the only conventional cutaway I have ever seen. There must be more of them.

In modern catalogs, Penn has shown pictures of the 113H with a cutaway bridge but never the entire reel, like this old Long Beach 66.

Could it be that this is the only one ??? ??? ???

Alto Mare

Mike, I call that reel gorgeous.
About two years ago, I was trying to figure out where to place the second dog on the Jigmaster and I drilled a 3/4" hole on the plate, I still have it somewhere. I even asked Alan C. to make me clear plates, but his source was able to do it using their equipment.
Thank you for posting those, I really enjoyed it.
You never cease to amaze me.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Penn Chronology

QuoteAbout two years ago, I was trying to figure out where to place the second dog on the Jigmaster and I drilled a 3/4" hole on the plate, I still have it somewhere. I even asked Alan C. to make me clear plates, but his source was not able to do it using their equipment

I think clear plates must be difficult. I have never seen clear plates poured from a mold, although I would think it should be able to be done with the right chemicals but I could be wrong. Any clear plate reels I have ever seen were machined from flat clear acrylic stock like this Horricks and Ibbotson demo reel:

The clear acrylic material also has a tendency to cloud up and stain because of the oils used for the internals. Over time the transparency degrades. I think I once saw a early and simple Ocean City model done in clear acrylic also, but I did not have the chance to grab that one.

QuoteThat is too cool Mike.
It is one of those rare fun items that you get lucky finding some time. I always like the stories connected with the piece.

mike1010

Alto Mare

Nice Mike.
The only transparent reel I've ever seen was on a Newell, and I mean the coplete reel, spool and all.
Maybe Newell Nut Has one to show us :-\.

Penn also had cut outs on inner parts, but I'm sure you're already aware of those.
I've seen one on Penn 50th anniversary catalog, here are a couple of pics

It appears they did it to show the stainless steel gears

About the reel above with the cutouts, I hope you don't mind, I liked it so much that i had to give it a shot.
I already had drilled plates, so that was an easy decision.
The spool on this one is plastic though

As you can see, not as detailed as your but it works for me.
I was surprised to see that even the older reels have a tight tolerance, very tight on the right side.

Thanks for sharing Mike, this has helped me already, I've learned a few new things about these reels.
You can put details on books, but can't beat being able to see how parts work... I love the reel.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

Sal,

I was aware of the 1982 catalog cutaway, that is the only other one I have seen.

Love your Jigmaster cutout. It yours, so you are in competition with the Penn factory, hard to compete with millions of dollars in specialty machines.............. ;)

I have to go to the airport for the weekend, next week I will post a modern Spinfisher V Penn factory cutout reel.

Later............

Shark Hunter

If anyone is up to the task of machining acrylic. I can provide the material up to 1/2" thick.
Sal, as soon as I saw Mike's cut out reel, I could see you going to town with that Dremel. ;D
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 13, 2015, 03:17:20 PM
About the reel above with the cutouts, I hope you don't mind, I liked it so much that i had to give it a shot.
I already had drilled plates, so that was an easy decision.
The spool on this one is plastic though

As you can see, not as detailed as your but it works for me.
I was surprised to see that even the older reels have a tight tolerance, very tight on the right side.

Thanks for sharing Mike, this has helped me already, I've learned a few new things about these reels.
You can put details on books, but can't beat being able to see how parts work... I love the reel.
Sal

Hmm, who was mentioning about taking a perfectly good reel and making it unusable...something about no respect for the Penn Senators for something like that?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 13, 2015, 05:12:37 PM
Hmm, who was mentioning about taking a perfectly good reel and making it unusable...something about no respect for the Penn Senators for something like that?

Lol... ;D

I think thiscwas a worthy sacrifice...as Sal mentioned..it provides insight into the interworkings/tollerences/etc..that cant be gained from reading about it. 

Hmm...maybe I should do a cut out on a Penn International 130 and see whats really going on in there?

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Well, some walked right by it but some get the point, youget it John.
Bry Bry, since i'm not as good as you are with these Penn reels, I need to get in there and investigate. I have learned some interesting things already, would you like to know where the spool hits, right or left, when it click? cut your own reel ;).
On another note, this Jigmaster is not a $500 14/0.
To me it is now worth more than it did, I'm glad I did it.