Top and bottom Delrin on a 114H

Started by Alto Mare, August 18, 2014, 11:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I just opened the reel back up to make sure the delrin was doing good under stress at high drag setting. Prior to the test, I placed the delring right under the Belleville and one under the gear.
The reel was very smooth, I pushed it to 48lbs and the line snapped twice on me by the knot, at the same setting, that was good enough for me, so I stopped.
I was amazed to see how softly and smoothly the reel got from 0 to 25lbs with no effort turning the star. The rest of the way the reel remained smooth, obviously harder to turn the star, but still very manageable.
The delrin didn't show any mars at all, we will still need to see how it holds up on the long run, but I personally don't have any doubts.

There has been some talks on the size of the delrin for under the gear, I wish I knew how to take a short video to let you guys hear and see how these dogs are engaging

As I previously mentioned, a larger washer, approximately 1/8" from the gear teeth would be best for most reels, the dogs like it very much.
We've created a nice reel here, taking everything in consideration, this one will be hard to beat with hat's available today.
I love my older Penn reels, but this one is one of my favorite...enjoy it!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

Sal

My only comment on the size of the Delrin washer is that when I cut one too small on the OD it would crack. When I increased the OD no more cracks. I have settled on a size just smaller than a Newell 300 drag washer which works great for me.

Dwight

Alto Mare

I haven't experienced cracking yet, but I punch mine out as a solid washer and cut the ID using a dremel.
I cut the larger washers with scissors, I will then drill a center hole with the dremel and while the bit is stock in it, I spin it on high speed on a stone. They come out nice and round.

I believe I mentioned this earlier on another post, the delrin material was recommended to me by Aaron ( Reelspeed).
We were having a conversation a while back on what type of bearing to use for under the gear. I tried a roller bearing and it did a good job as well, but the prep to install it and maintenance would have been  too much. As for a delrin washer, you set it in place and forget about it, no need for grease, but if you get some on, it'll be just fine.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

You know I punch both OD and ID at one time and that causes the crack on one side when making them too small. No need to make them small anyway.

Tiddlerbasher

I had problems with acetal and carbon fibre washers cracking when I punched them. It only happened with small washers (as you said). I was using a leather punch set and nylon cutting board for support. Punching the od first then the id would crack 50% of washers (very wasteful)  :(. Punching the id first then the od was much more successful (10% failure rate on small washers - just more difficult to centre the od punch). Swapping the nylon board for an end grain chopping board virtually cured the problem (BUT you wouldn't want to prepare food on it after cutting cf)  ;) I guess the wood is more supportive - less flexing.

Three se7ens

I could have these waterjet cut to any size fairly cheaply, if there is enough interest. 

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

As Newell Nut mentioned and as you would see from my post above, there is no need for you to make them small .A sharp tool and how you do it has a lot to do with the results, I could dish out a few dozen in a couple of minutes using my punch, but as I mentioned, mine are solid.
I cut the ID afterward, using a dremel, the reason I cut my own is because I do a lot of experimenting with sizes.

Lee mentioned that these could be cut with a water cutter, another member mentioned that he's cutting his with a laser, but he's always too busy, so I doubt he'll be cutting for others.
Also, Dawn mentioned that she has these already cut in stock at a reasonable price.
I don't have any issues cutting them as I do, but if Dawn would offer these in  odd size that I'm looking for, I would go that way.
I like mine oversized, to me it's helping the dogs as well.
No rules here, use whatever works best for you.
Sal

Sorry guys, we replied at the same time. It doesn't matter who cuts them or offers them, as long as we get them.  We're in it together ;).

Aiala

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 01, 2014, 04:17:24 PM
Also, Dawn mentioned that she has these already cut in stock at a reasonable price.

That's great, I'd like to buy some, but I just checked her site and I don't see them listed...   ???

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 01, 2014, 04:17:24 PM.....Also, Dawn mentioned that she has these already cut in stock at a reasonable price.

This makes it a lot easier.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

I think Dawn has these available -- just not on the website yet --

Toll Free: (888) 206-4656

Email us at: info@smoothdrag.com
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dawn

When I have a moment I'll post all the measurement of what I've got.

Dawn
Dawn

Tightlines667

I just finished punching a bunch of Delron washers for 9/0s, and 12/0s.  No problems with cracking either way so far.  My tools are sharp but I'm punching OD then punching ID. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Rothmar2

Looking forward to getting my hands on some delrin stock large enough to cut them on a lathe.
Either way, thanks for doing the groundwork on this Sal. Can't wait to get these into my build.

Dominick

Hey Sal, I was waiting for you to notice the typo in the subject line.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.