Top and bottom Delrin on a 114H

Started by Alto Mare, August 18, 2014, 11:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

DOH! :-\ I thought he was talking Drags. :D
Life is Good!

jonnou

thanks lee
Daron and Wallace Already got the Cf washers sorted but interested in thicker / lamanated have been using .76 and .50
from downriggers in Australia 
Have to cut one for a triton 50w
You have thicker ones Wallace?

wallacewt

how much did you need
i could send you a bit of mind for free if you
only had 1 reel to do

Alto Mare

For larger delrin washers I was using scissors to cut them and sand the rough spots down, I did not have a large enough bit to punch them out.
I then thought about using one of my diamond dust coated hole saw and sure enough it did a great job.

The stock 4-117/118 is 1 3/8" fiber washer, the 4-116 is  1 1/4". The ones that I made are 1 1/2" and should work on the larger reels, from the 10/0 to 16/0.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Three se7ens

Diamond cutters are for hard material, and will clog quickly with plastic.  You'll be better off with a Home Depot hole saw than those bits in delrin.

Plastic is soft, but it takes exceptionally sharp tools to cut cleanly.  You don't need super hard abrasives like carbide or diamond, you just need quality steel with a sharp edge.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Three se7ens on September 07, 2014, 04:46:54 AM
Diamond cutters are for hard material, and will clog quickly with plastic.  You'll be better off with a Home Depot hole saw than those bits in delrin.

Plastic is soft, but it takes exceptionally sharp tools to cut cleanly.  You don't need super hard abrasives like carbide or diamond, you just need quality steel with a sharp edge.
Yes Adam, I know what to use Diamond coated bits for, I've been doing masonry and carpentry for over 40 years ;D.
As stated above, I was cutting the larger washers with scissors, I knew I had these bits in the truck so I decided to give it a go. As you could see from the pics, they did a good job, no melting of the material or clogging anywhere. The bits are coated with fine diamond dust, I use those on ceramic tiles and have never chipped a tile, but had helpers do so. I tell them all the time, make the tool do the cutting, but you do need to know how to handle this one, it doesn't have a starting bit.
I know I've already showed this, here is what they recommend for machining delrin, HSS bits:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#8574kac/=tm7lm5
I'm not telling anyone to go out and purchase a diamond coated bit for cutting plastic, will I still use one? absolutely. ;D
I wouldn't need many of these large size washers, I made a dozen and that should be enough for now. Anything under 1 1/4", I have bits for that I could just punch out.
The rough edge you see on the washers is just saw dust, it comes right off.

Again, Dawn has these already cut, but you might not be able to find the washer for the top of the stack, I like mine to be just a little smaller than the metal keyed washer, maybe 1/16".
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

jonnou

I will always use what I have till I get what I need and try not to stuff it
Couldnt change if I tried ;) ;)

Alto Mare

A knowledgeable member here is thinking that maybe Delrin might not hold up, due to the heat build up, generated from long fish runs with the drags set tight.
He believes that Rulon might be a better choice, from reading about it, I also believe the same. Unfortunately for us, Rulon is just too expensive.
Delrin max operating temp is 180 degrees F, and melts at 350. Rulon max operating temp 500-600.
I did a little test on my own using  MAP gas and a temperature gun, sent to me by Bob (Cone), thanks again Bob, that gun is coming handy ;). The Delrin stayed intact at up to 200 degree and started to get soft and shiny at 240 degree, but still holding shape. At 340 degree it got really soft and lost its shape. My tests are not accurate as the tests they do in the lob, but surprisingly, my numbers were very close to theirs.
I personally believe that the Delrin would do fine, but it needs to be tested on the water or on the beach from Daron ;). I don't believe the smaller reels would need to be tested,  maybe from the 4/0 and up, so we could find out for sure.
This is all new, time will tell.
I do know for sure that Delrin makes the reel much smoother, a smoother reel generates less heat... we'll see.
Sal

Three se7ens

Teflon is rated at up to 500 degrees, and has very low friction.

Newell Nut

Just finished reading a bunch about the different Rulon types. The lowest coefficient of friction is the Type J.

RULON J is an all-polymeric reinforced
PTFE compound that operates
satisfactorily against soft mating
surfaces such as 316 stainless, aluminum,
mild steel, and frequently, other plastics.
The unique "shaft kindliness" of RULON J
is in addition to the expected attributes
of low friction and wear, self-lubrication
and long life.
In fact, RULON J has the lowest
coefficient of friction of any available
reinforced PTFE. This makes it ideally
suited for start/stop applications where
stick-slip must be eliminated.

Alto Mare

Adam, I was using virgin Teflon before I came to this site and was told that it wasn't good. I can't recall the reason :-\.
Map gas gets really hot, I tried to burn a Teflon washer this evening and couldn't do it. I got the heat up to 400 degree and still wasn't able. that washer had no effect to heat, it would turn clear, but always go back to white. It might be good for heat resistance, but might not be as good as a delrin when really  squeezed down. a delrin washer will still rotate under lots of pressure.
Keep in mind, we don't know that the delrin might not work, lets find out first. I already know that it's making the drags really smooth. I already caught fish with them, but as I mentioned above, we need a big fish to take it for a ride.

Three se7ens

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 15, 2014, 02:36:20 AM
Adam, I was using virgin Teflon before I came to this site and was told that it wasn't good. I can't recall the reason :-\.
Map gas gets really hot, I tried to burn a Teflon washer this evening and couldn't do it. I got the heat up to 400 degree and still wasn't able. that washer had no effect to heat, it would turn clear, but always go back to white. It might be good for heat resistance, but might not be as good as a delrin when really  squeezed down. a delrin washer will still rotate under lots of pressure.
Keep in mind, we don't know that the delrin might not work, lets find out first. I already know that it's making the drags really smooth. I already caught fish with them, but as I mentioned above, we need a big fish to take it for a ride.

Teflon can cold flow under pressure, so I think the real question is whether the heat or the pressure is the bigger issue here.  That being said, I think either would work in all but extreme circumstances

Alto Mare

Quote from: Newell Nut on September 15, 2014, 02:31:37 AM
Just finished reading a bunch about the different Rulon types. The lowest coefficient of friction is the Type J.

RULON J is an all-polymeric reinforced
PTFE compound that operates
satisfactorily against soft mating
surfaces such as 316 stainless, aluminum,
mild steel, and frequently, other plastics.
The unique "shaft kindliness" of RULON J
is in addition to the expected attributes
of low friction and wear, self-lubrication
and long life.
In fact, RULON J has the lowest
coefficient of friction of any available
reinforced PTFE. This makes it ideally
suited for start/stop applications where
stick-slip must be eliminated.
Dwight, too bad it's so darn expensive :-\