Top and bottom Delrin on a 114H

Started by Alto Mare, August 18, 2014, 11:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

The same member that mentioned Rulon to me has caught many fish, he has those for drag and require very little to none for maintenance.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

Where can you buy it in small quantities? What is the price?

Alto Mare

Let's give Delrin a chance, if Penn uses it in their reels, it has to be good. I'm sure they sell hundreds of reel daily :-\.
To me, up to this point, Delrin has been impressive and I'm not ready to give up on it just. Let's fish with it and take it from there.
I'm trying to confirm that the washer that Penn uses for under the gear is indeed Delrin.
I contacted a few people and they were all very kind, but didn't have my answer.
They directed me to Pure Fishing Service Manager Tom Blecker, I contacted Mr. Blecker about two weeks ago, but have not received an answer as of yet.
I'm sure at Pure Fishing they're aware that if a customer requests some information on material used on their fishing reels, they would need to answer.
I believe Mr. Blecker might just be too busy at the moment :-\.
Again, all I'm trying to find out is if the washer that Penn uses for under to gear is Delrin.
If anyone could help out with this needed information, please do so.
Thanks!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

jonnou

I was just thinking ???
the control for this experement needs to be the original Fibre washer
If it has a better resistance to heat and has a history of failure (due to heat)  then the product is not suitable
Or if it has less resistance to heat and no history of failure(due to heat) then product is suitable at least to the previous heat tolerences of the original ect
then the same on c/f
would be sad to see it fail on a big fish :(      (not that I think it will)

Suggest you hook a young boy on a Bicycle on a long street and repeat ;) :D ;D

I am not suggesting you have not thought of this
like I said Just thinking
cheers Jon

Shark Hunter

I need to put some Delrin in my 12 and 14/0 with Tom's sleeves before I head out Friday. Hopefully I can take a Big Shark for a Ride and put this Delrin to the Test. I know one descent shark that can pull the drag on a 12/0 destroys a CF undergear. It will still be there, but distorted and chewed up at full lockdown.
Life is Good!

broadway

Have fun putting that delrin to the test with a whopper just look out for Nuke subs! ;D
Just out of curiosity, what happens to the delrin when it wears? ...does it crack/tear or same as the CF's wear?
Dom

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Newell Nut

Daron
Just do what I do and tighten the drag so they can't take you for a ride. Flex those biceps on those guys and show them who's boss.

jonnou

Daron
any experiment needs a control
catch a 12 footer on a Delrin
then catch a 14 footer on a CF
adjust
by
0.02 to the dozen
them we will have the answer

Good luck Bud
Jon

jurelometer

Quote from: broadway on September 16, 2014, 04:07:22 PM
Have fun putting that delrin to the test with a whopper just look out for Nuke subs! ;D
Just out of curiosity, what happens to the delrin when it wears? ...does it crack/tear or same as the CF's wear?
Dom

For this application (Penn drag stack thrust washers), there should not be any contact abrasive enough to cause it to grind down and throw off particles.   If exposed to UV light or certain chemicals (chlorine?) for a very long time it can loose impact strength and crack.  It would look like other degraded plastics that you have seen.  This would be unlikely to happen inside of a reel.

The potential damage I would not expect but still look out for would be dents caused by the gear sleeve teeth digging in when the sleeve is flexed and overheating from an extended run at high drag setting causing deformation (i.e. "all squished out"   :)) .   

Re:  Rulon or the the similar PTFE/fiber combo mentioned:  It is a bit slicker and will run at a higher heat than delrin/acetal, but I would expect it to not be as hard - it is rated using a softer Rockwelll scale -I could not find a direct comparison.   It would probably work better as a thrust bearing in normal circumstances, but denting/gouging may be a problem for rulon in this application if it is too soft.

Aren't the stock undergear washers pretty hard when new?  Mine were all hard but also very old.

-Jurelometer

broadway

Dave,
   Thanks for the explanation... makes sense.
The answer to your question about the hardness of the under gear washer is... the CF designated for under the gear isn't hard at all... they don't have the fiberglass(?) reinforcement.  They're pretty much 1-ply if ya know what I mean. ;)
I'm pretty sure Sal uses the same size CF under the gear as in the stack, but I could be wrong. That one has the fiberglass sandwiched between the CF.
Thanks
Dom

jurelometer

Quote from: broadway on September 18, 2014, 04:40:06 AM
Dave,
   Thanks for the explanation... makes sense.
The answer to your question about the hardness of the under gear washer is... the CF designated for under the gear isn't hard at all... they don't have the fiberglass(?) reinforcement.  They're pretty much 1-ply if ya know what I mean. ;)
I'm pretty sure Sal uses the same size CF under the gear as in the stack, but I could be wrong. That one has the fiberglass sandwiched between the CF.
Thanks
Dom

Hi Dom,

I was referring to the stock Penn under- gear washer (part no 4-349), not the aftermarket carbon fiber drag washers used as a replacement.  Are you referring to the original or aftermarket?

I was curious about how hard a fresh original one is, especially compared to  delrin. 

broadway

I think the old plastic type washers for under the gear are stiffer than the delrin but way more fragile.
Dom

jeff smith

Sal,
I've just got hold of some Delrin washers from Dawn for my 114s and 113Hs.
On the 114s I had to trim the washers down with some scissors and emery paper as they came up too big in the o/s diameter.
My 114s (old school metal bar versions) are running with a six carbon disc drag. Goes like this;
carbon 1,keyed, carbon2, eared, carbon3 ,keyed, carbon4, eared, carbon5, keyed, carbon6 , keyed.
I also don't have a Belleville. On top of the last keyed washer is a top hat with a felt ring, then a spacer, thick washer, drag star, thin washer, handle.
Should the delrin washer go on top of the last eared washer? At the moment I've replaced the  carbon6 with a delrin
I seem  remember reading somewhere that anything above the top keyed washer doesn't increase drag???
Should I replace the top two keyed washers and last carbon disc with a simple spacer (I have plenty of thick washers from the old school drags).
Is it worth replacing the 'top hat with felt thingy' with a Belleville?? or can this be left alone? ( I secretly quite like it)
All three 114s set up as above give 22-25lb drag which is more than enough for my needs by a country mile, but I wonder if im getting the full benefit of the delrins.