Top and bottom Delrin on a 114H

Started by Alto Mare, August 18, 2014, 11:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

That is correct Jeff, anything above the last keyed washer is just a spacer. I would replace that top hat with the felt, with the type that comes with the 114h, but you will need to remove a couple of washers. If you're happy with the way its working at the moment, let it go. The last washer under the top hat should be a delrin.
About that last comment that you made, you will need to be the judge of that, use it and let us know how its working out.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fsrmn

I finally got around to installing the delrin washers you (Sal) so kindly sent me to put  on my narrowed 114h with a 5 stack. I also got a chance to test them out on a good sized black drum. They worked great, the drag was as smooth as a baby's butt. Now I am looking for some for my 600h and maybe even for my spinfishers if it would work on a spinner too. Thanks again, Henry
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fsrmn

I didn't weigh it but I am guessing around 40 lbs. The only problem is that they get parasites when they get this size. The best size for filets is around 10 lbs. This one took over half a spool before I got him turned the first time. Then we pulled the anchor and let him pull us around a bit before landing him. They are plentiful around the bridges here in Charlotte Harbor. We use whole blue crabs for bait.
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

Alto Mare

The Delrin that we've been using has been working nicely, but like everything else, there is always room for improvements.
Here is the latest:

They're not cheap, but considering the quantities, it isn't bad:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#2636T23

The piece shown above was sent to me from Aaron ( Reel Speed ) he wanted me to try it out, he's been using it on all of his reels that he services and swears by them.

Do any of you recognize these custom bushings?

That's right, same material used by Carl Newell .

Sal

fIsHsTiiCkS

The impact strength is rated as poor. I wonder how it will hold up?

Alto Mare

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on December 27, 2014, 10:53:05 PM
The impact strength is rated as poor. I wonder how it will hold up?
These don't take impact force, they take sliding friction. You want a material that has high enough tensile not to squish when the drag is applied and slick enough to be a good bearing. This is why the pure teflons/rulons are not great...they tend to squish when you apply drag.

fishhead69

Delrin is an excellent very durable material that is pretty much gorilla proof. Great idea Alto.

broadway

Yes, sir... Looks to be the same as my long cast bushings from Newell.  I haven't tried them because I use my 112h's for trolling most of the time... are they any good?
Thanks, Sal.
Dom

Alto Mare

Quote from: broadway on December 28, 2014, 03:53:00 AM
Yes, sir... Looks to be the same as my long cast bushings from Newell.  I haven't tried them because I use my 112h's for trolling most of the time... are they any good?
Thanks, Sal.
Dom
Anything he made was good  ;). Yes, those are great.
You guys are skipping  ::), since this post is about Delrin and 114h, do you see that golden frame in the background? ;D

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Good to know! I just ordered up some delrin so I will wait while you handle some more R&D and report back how it goes  ;D

I saw the Gold frame and was wondering what it was!

Alto Mare

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on December 28, 2014, 06:41:41 AM
Good to know! I just ordered up some delrin so I will wait while you handle some more R&D and report back how it goes  ;D

I saw the Gold frame and was wondering what it was!
There might not be a need for me to check these, he has sold hundreds of kits and not one came back.

Alto Mare

Today I felt like a kid in the candy store, I received a couple of unexpected boxes in the mail ;D. Thanks again guys, you know who you are. ;)

Aaron had these frames made a while back he found this one in a box in his shop and decided to let me have it. He said I would put it to good use and that I would appreciate it the most, sorry guys, but he might be right on that one ;D.
The craftsmanship is amazing, the only thing is that they didn't come with harness lugs. I already have a few ideas for it, but I'm leaving this one as is, I like it and it makes it unique.
Here are some pics:

I couldn't believe I was able to find a nice spool for it ;D

Dan at reelygone is checking if he could scrape up some accurate bearings and screws, if not, I'll use Penn's.

I will post some more pics when fully assembled.

Sal

fIsHsTiiCkS

WOW!  :o :o You have all the connections! A one piece frame and side plate is a very solid build. That definitely is going to be a one of a kind reel! Fully modded with all the great upgrades now available that Gold beast will beat anything in its class! You have to make a whole new thread for that one! I dont think I would double dog this one though.  ;)