Penn SS Series

Started by Shark Hunter, October 04, 2014, 07:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I have collected about enough Senators that will last my Family the next ten Generations. ;D
Time to start something new while they are still available. I bought a sweet 9500 last year that Sal tipped me off to. Lets get started! ;)
This 9500 has the Brass gears and very little wear.

I Replace the Teflon washer with a 6-60 CF as Sal did in his tutorial. Put Cal's on the 6-60 and the single drag washer. looks like it is glued to the assembly. I will leave that alone. ;)

Where all the Magic Happens. Under the rotor. I just greased this up. I tried to put Adam's Titanium ratchet and dogs in, but I couldn't make the spring work and my Son wasn't letting me concentrate.

Ready for final buttoning. All Honey grease removed. Penn Blue to the rescue. ;)

I forgot to take a shot with all the parts laid out. These are really easy to work on.
My 7500 arrived as I was working on the 9500. It looks like it just came out of the box! ;D

I was worried if it had brass gears or aluminum. YES! Brass it is! These are impossible to find new.

Life is Good!

handi2

I have used, bought, and sold so many of these reels I can't remember..!! I do have a mint 9500SS in the box.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Three se7ens

I'm working on a solution to the spring not working on the upper dog on the 9500ss. 

In the mean time, I had a customer send me a picture of the engagement of a stock silent dog with my 16t ratchet.  It fits better than I expected, and would likely function well under normal use.

Alto Mare

I didn't try Adam's parts yet, what's the problem with the spring? I thought we had that covered.
These are still doing just fine, they were Justin's idea and I've been using them ever since with no issues.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6682.msg56801#msg56801

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

cwillis85

Nice reel, I have been hunting high and low for a 9500 but prices have sky rocket lately. If you get the titanium in and working please let us know how it works. I have stainless steel 16 tooth in my 750 and was debating if i needed the titanium upgrade.
Chris

Three se7ens

Quote from: cwillis85 on October 05, 2014, 12:14:17 AM
Nice reel, I have been hunting high and low for a 9500 but prices have sky rocket lately. If you get the titanium in and working please let us know how it works. I have stainless steel 16 tooth in my 750 and was debating if i needed the titanium upgrade.

You won't gain much from my titanium 16 tooth kit over a stainless one.  My parts are cut very accurately, and the mounting holes for the dogs have been precision reamed for the best fit.  But the felt difference when fishing probably won't be much.

The spring issue applies only to the 9500ss, as it doesn't have the support for a spring on the upper dog.  I'm working on a new spring for the 9500ss models, and I'll be send them out to anyone who purchased a 9500ss kit as soon as I have them.

Alto Mare

Nice job on that reel Daron, be careful they multiply like rabbits ;D

Quote from: cwillis85
link=topic=11837.msg115075#msg115075 date=1412468057

We've been working on an upgrade for that reel for some time now, if it is possible and would happens, the 9500 will really sky rocket...we'll see.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

cwillis85

Guess i better find one soon then. Been trying to find a used one that need a little work to keep the price lower, no luck.
Chris

Cone

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 05, 2014, 12:34:46 AM
Nice job on that reel Daron, be careful they multiply like rabbits ;D

Quote from: cwillis85
link=topic=11837.msg115075#msg115075 date=1412468057

We've been working on an upgrade for that reel for some time now, if it is possible and would happens, the 9500 will really sky rocket...we'll see.

Nice reel Daron. I'm sure you will like it.  I hope Sal is wrong for once.  ;) ;D I have a set of brand new 9500ss brass gears that have never been in a reel. I've been looking for another 9500ss myself. My son has two and I have one. I need to get another one just to stay even.  ;)  ;D  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Shark Hunter

Got my hands on a 550 this evening. I see what all the hype is about. This reel is heavy for its size and you can tell it means business. ;)
The bearings finally came for my barnacle covered 4500.
So, I know have a 9500,7500,6500,550,450,430 and 420 ss. ;)
I Think the 440 is going to be the tough one. ::)
Just like rabbits Sal. :D
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

It felt a little sluggish. Its only 2 in the morning. Lets take this apart. :P
The first thing I notice is the main gear. Seems like it has a lot more teeth than the other ss spinners I've taken apart. Looks like it just needs a cleaning.
All Done, Much smoother. ;) Just need to check the drags.
Life is Good!

foakes

Sometimes too much grease in these Penn spinners, will slow them down.

You need to determine the fine line for yourself -- operation vs. speed vs. protection...

And, grease does get everywhere inside the gear body case -- but you might try to keep it off of the spool shaft and anti-reverse mechanism, if possible -- by being specific and a little more sparingly applied.  Use oil on the spool shaft.

Again, not one size fits all -- personal preference and usage is key.

Nice job!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

I know I overdo it on the grease Fred. It still feels a lot better than it did. It was sluggish before because the grease had gummed up and hardened. The last piece I put in the the spool shaft and put some reel X on it. I use it on the under rotor parts too. I love that stuff. ;D
Life is Good!

foakes

You are using good Marine grease (salt water resistant) and good oil with the ReelX.

Personally, in the salt, I would rather have my reel a little over-greased -- because the protection is more important than the speed.  And the grease you are using will not gum up.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

I'm not impressed with these tiny drag washers in such a heavy reel. That's a 6-60 in the middle. I am already thinking of going with hex drag washers. Better order an extra spool shaft now. ::)
Life is Good!