MAGNUM 500 - PENN JIGMASTER

Started by DaBigOno, February 21, 2015, 05:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ez2cdave

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on January 03, 2016, 05:55:25 PM
The red one would go for $445.  I would have a hard time parting with the black one because it's dead mint.

I'm still a "little dizzy" . . . LOL ! ! !

Wish I had the money to spare . . .

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: steelhead_killer on January 03, 2016, 06:28:27 PM
I have a couple of questions about this build.  It appears that the plates and the spool are the hard part to find?  That is what makes it so costly?  Just curious!
The Magnum series was released by Accurate shortly before they dropped the entire Accuplate and Accuframe program. What makes these so costly is the true rarity of these reels.
There never was a massive production run that I know of, so the short time on market never allowed any saturation like the years the standard stuff was available.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Ron Jones

The rarity of the plates and spool are indeed what makes them so spendy. The spool accepts a different reels pinion and the plates use gears of a different reel. In reality, with the upgrades today I'm not certain they are a great idea. The fastest you can make a magnum 500 is 4.0:1, witch is it's factory speed. The strength of the 5:1 gears is well established and the new drag systems available make the drag all anyone could want them to be.

Please understand thogh, just because they might not have the advantage they used to doesn't mean I don't want them  ;).
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Three se7ens

A few of the Pro Gear reels use the same principle.  Guts from the next size up Penn reel.  My 545 is the size of a 501 jigmaster, but has 113H gears, bridge, etc.  They arent cheap either, but you could still buy a few for the cost of an accurate magnum. 

Ron Jones

Exactly, but the fastest you can get the 545 to is 4:1, the factory speed of the 501. You can get a 5:1 501 with SS gears that will pull more than the 113H factory drag. It seems like maybe we surpassed the Acurate plate / Pro Gear tech with the fantastic machinists on this site.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

David Hall

Quote from: noyb72 on January 04, 2016, 03:28:18 AM
Exactly, but the fastest you can get the 545 to is 4:1, the factory speed of the 501. You can get a 5:1 501 with SS gears that will pull more than the 113H factory drag. It seems like maybe we surpassed the Acurate plate / Pro Gear tech with the fantastic machinists on this site.
Ron

Possibly but consider the accurate magnum gives you everything we can upgrade a 500 with but its all stuffed into a 140 squidder.

day0ne

Quote from: noyb72 on January 04, 2016, 03:28:18 AM
Ron

Then you upgrade the Magnum/Pro Gear with all the stuff for a 4/0, i.e., ss sleeve, 4/0 insert, ss eccentric jack and that thing that holds the pinion (brain fart going on) and when it's ready, the ss 113H double dog bridge. Who needs 5:1 gears. I personally don't want them. I have a 545 I'm doing that with right now. Maybe my Magnum also.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Bryan Young

This is my 99 wide Accurate Magnum side by side to my PrrroGear 545. Jigmaster sized reels with 4/0 guts.

Just look at the gears. What would you rather fish with?  Along with the gears, the magnum and ProGear have larger spool shafts.

Lastly, if you want to fish live bait and have a slower retrieve, you could change the 4:1 gears to 3.25:1 gears.

The difference between 4:1 and 5:1 gears is 9" at full spool per crank. Is 9" per crank significant enough where you would catch or not catch fish?

If I need a faster reel, I would use a Newell 533-5.5.

What do you think?  Obviously I have made my choice of what to fish with.

On the flip side, I also have Jigmaster with 50# braid that I use with 20-40# top shot and it's perfect. If I need beefier options, I go with my ProGear 545.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

I would rather fish with SS 5:1 gears on a spool that small. Especially with your drag kit. 20#s of drag is all anyone needs on a spool that size. I would LOVE a 146 Magnum. A 5:1 squirter would be great.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Maxed Out

Very nice Bryan. Is that a custom handle star on your red jigmaster ? I like the color and the offset knob.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Bryan Young

Quote from: Max Doubt on January 22, 2016, 06:58:44 AM
Very nice Bryan. Is that a custom handle star on your red jigmaster ? I like the color and the offset knob.
The star and handle are from a ProGear reel.

The story...I received the reel from a friend to put it together and upgrade as much as possible without modifying the frame or sideplates.  I returned the reel to my friend.  About a month later, I asked my friend whether his friend liked the reel...then he told me that his friend had passed and they didn't know what to do with the reel after that...so I asked if they wouldn't mind selling it...not that I needed another reel or I could afford it, but I asked anyway.  Well, as you can see, they sold it and it's in my what am I going to do with this reel safe...yes, my safe has a few reels with this label. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

fishhead69

Wow that Penn Jigmaster with the Accurate Magnum kit has everything in it including the kitchen sink. I have a couple of them that I have fished with for many years and they are fish killers for sure. Thanks for the great post.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

David Hall

That narrow 99 must be even harder to find than the 500 magnum.  yours is the first one Ive heard of.

Bryan Young

Quote from: David Hall on January 22, 2016, 05:08:48 PM
That narrow 99 must be even harder to find than the 500 magnum.  yours is the first one Ive heard of.
It's the first I have ever seen of it as well.  It has a Tiburon frame, and I'm still looking for that 99 width red Accurate frame in NOS or New like condition.