Main Menu

first post

Started by alantani, December 04, 2008, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taily, Serrations, Brendan, Slater_Fish and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Wicho5981

Hello I'm new here and glad to be here. My avet spool has a bit of play left to right l---l and it makes little thump I feel like the spring in the spool doesn't have enough tension on it so it move but I have no idea ? Any suggestions

xiphias

Hi everyone,

I just got back into larger (non-trout or steelhead) conventional reels after recently reclaiming a closet full of Calstars and reels I left in California 20 years ago. I'm planning on going through all the red-sided and gold-sided stuff this long, dark, and possibly snowy Winter and obviously this is the place to try to remember how to do it and probably learn more than I need to know. I'll try not to ask too many questions, as it seems things have changed a bit since I quit West Coast live bait fishing. I developed a renewed interest in it for some strange reason after the last 2 Summers...Maybe it was the memories of '84 when I was a kid and the old guys said it would happen again and be even better. Wish I could have seen it. I'll try to help out where I can also. Thanks a bunch to all for all the great info and the super helpful atmosphere.

alantani

gentlemen, welcome!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

Quote from: Wicho5981 on October 16, 2015, 01:43:40 AM
Hello I'm new here and glad to be here. My avet spool has a bit of play left to right l---l and it makes little thump I feel like the spring in the spool doesn't have enough tension on it so it move but I have no idea ? Any suggestions

there is normally a bit of play. 

Wicho5981

So it s normal . I didn't think it was normal because on my other avet it has little play but not noticeable and no thump. Plus I can hear the drag washer when I take line of. Sorry if I don't make sense not my first language

alantani

hmmm, so do you lose freespool?

Wicho5981

free spool is working good. I opened it and the left and right play is only on the bar inside the spool . Don't know the name of it. Don't see any damage on both sides of spool.

DillyDally

Hi Everybody!
Like Brian, I've posted on another subject previous to this one.  So I'll follow his lead, and formally introduce myself here. My name is Dale Richer, I'm 51 years old, and live in south central Texas. I've been a lifetime member of the Bass Anglers Sportsman Society, and an avid Bass fisherman since the early 80s, but have only recently returned to ocean fishing since growing up in southern California in the 60s & 70s. I'm relatively new to fishing reel repair, and I collect LOTS of things, so I'm sure I'll be burdening my wife with the beginnings of collecting Penn reels!  I am a craftsman in many other areas, including Aircraft, Guns, Guitars, Electronics, Bicycles, and I'm a professional Sound Engineer to boot.  I'm a Desert Storm veteran, who joined the Air Force in 1983, have flown heavy cargo planes, and currently still work on Avionics full time in the Texas Air National Guard.  Several of my co-workers are very avid fisherman of the Texas Coast, hence the resurge in ocean fishing.  I've learned so much from so many people in here...and consider it an extreme honor to be able to post with you all!  Best Regards,   Dale
P.S.: I'll work on getting a profile picture that won't chase anybody away!

alantani

glad to have you here!!!!

DillyDally

DBCFR

Alan,
Thanks for the great work on the forum. I have been doing reel repairs for many year it is great to see all this information in one spot your doing a great job keep it up.
I am a old school Rod builder with more then 45 years building rods.
mainly fished out of Dana Point and SanDiego have ran my own boat for over 25 of those years.
Relocated to Coarsegold in 2004 took on the role of webmaster and Rod building instructor for Fresno Fly Fishers for about 6 years and found that I miss the Ocean way to much to play with fish the size of bait.
So turned back to ocean fishing and making the drive. I have been looking for a group to fish with on the central coast as SD is a long drive......so glad to have found your website!
Dave B.
DBCustoms
45+ Years of fishing and rod building its been an adventure!

swill88

Dominick

Quote from: DBCFR on November 01, 2015, 09:38:43 PM

Relocated to Coarsegold in 2004 took on the role of webmaster and Rod building instructor for Fresno Fly Fishers for about 6 years and found that I miss the Ocean way to much to play with fish the size of bait.
Dave B.
DBCustoms
Dave, welcome to the site.  This is what I keep telling my friend Wayne.  How can you catch bait sized fish after pulling in a 300lb marlin?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

DillyDally

Hi Dave...
I grew up in the 60s & 70s just up the road from Dana Point, in Oceanside.  I wish I could get out there from time to time!
Dale

DBCFR

Quote from: Dominick on November 01, 2015, 09:45:24 PM
Quote from: DBCFR on November 01, 2015, 09:38:43 PM

Dave B.
DBCustoms
Dave, welcome to the site.  This is what I keep telling my friend Wayne.  How can you catch bait sized fish after pulling in a 300lb marlin?  Dominick
Or big tuna or WSB or yellowtail for that matter..... Thanks for the welcome!
45+ Years of fishing and rod building its been an adventure!