113h/114h senator - short version

Started by alantani, January 25, 2009, 01:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

You're just about where you want to be with that reel. Take it out a couple of times and and fish with it; you will notice that you will gain a little more drag when everything settles in. I'm sure that it will work, if you're still not happy get back to us, there might be a thing or two that we could do, but I rather leave it as you have it. Take care, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Capt. ahab

Ok, got that one working, thanks for the help.  Now I'm working on my last reel.  This is the one that came off eBay in the poorest condition.  I did the whole drag replacement, put it together, and felt a grinding sensation as I cranked the handle.  I took it apart and I think I've isolated it to the yoke and pinion gear (the small silver gear).  whenever that gear turns in the yoke, i feel some friction, even when heavily greased.  I'm wondering if something came out of alignment or got bent or knicked somehow.  Should I replace these parts?  Are there stainless part replacements?

Alto Mare

Hello, from your explanation it sounds like you need new gears. I usually replace both gears at the same time on those reels, on the larger reels, I take a chance with only one and see if that works ( the're just too costly ). You should be able to find the gears on eBay at a reasonable price, if you can't, Scott's at mysticparts.com has them. It could also be something else causing the grinding sensation, I'm leaning towards the bearings. Since you have another reel, it makes it easy for you to pinpoint the problem. I would start with the bearings, just swap them and see if that does anything, and so on. Just remember to put the parts back in place after testing each one, otherwise you'll have two bad reels.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Mic

Thanks Alan!

That's exactly what I was needing! The dog and the flat spring was what I was stumped on!

Hoss,
Now I see why everyone sezs "Go ask Alan"!

Thanks again for the help...............Mic

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

metalman

Alan, Alto Mare, Brian, etc ;)
Since I've started asking you guys on this forum, I've taken apart my 4/0 reels recently. Been awhile, so I had a friend do his with mine, we figured everything out, so now I"m proud to say I can take EVERY PIECE apart and put it back together ;D!!!
Okay, so I haven't don Alan's dremel down the thingy to make it a full 6 drag set, but I'm comfortable for now with leaving it as stock. Still wanted to just say hi and to let you know I'm caring for my reels more :) !!!!!!!!!!!!
Aloha,
Metalman

alantani

yeah, it's been a while.  i was starting to miss you!  so bryan and i will be heading out to oahu for one of the tackle shows.  please let us drop in on you.  i'm always good for a few drinks.  alan

metalman

REALLY?!!! D@MN! You guys just missed the Hawaiiian Fishing and Seafood Festival!!! :( :'(!!!
What is this one in the future??!!! Can't wait to see you guys  ;D :D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(808) 781-9496 ;)

Gaujo

Can I buy the full frame 113H2 part and replace the posts in my 113H?
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/183N-113HL.aspx

Also, will the side plate (non handle) from a 113L2 or 113H2 be ok for a 113?  It is half as much!

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Nothing but friends & fins on alantani.com

alantani

sorry, no, the frame does not have enough screws in it.  the tib frame will work, or the graphite penn frame for the later model penn 113hl's will work as well.  i might even have one somewhere.  alan

GT

Not sure if it is right place to post this.

I serviced my penn senator 9/0 using this tutorial as guideline.

When tried to re-put everything together I found it a little difficult because this part is kind of different between the 113 and the 114.

I made a picture of it:

NOTE THAT THE DOG IS UPSIDE DOWN. IF YOU ARE SERVICING THIS REEL DO NOT MOUNT IT LIKE THAT!

franky

Hello GT,

What part of the reel are you referring to that is different?  

Btw, your pinion looks like its missing some teeth.  Am I correct...or is it my eyes?  :-\

Other than that, it looks like you are ready to rotate your bridge plate and you should be set.

redsetta

Aside from the missing yoke springs...  
Won't be much good without those. ;)
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Norcal Pescador

I see a couple of things. Like Justin said, the yoke springs are missing - they need to go over the screws before the yoke goes on.
The eccentric looks like it might be 180o out - there shouldn't be any air showing between the eccentric post and the groove in the eccentric jack.
The dog spring looks okay.
Can't really tell if the dog is right side up - is it fitting into the notches on the gear sleeve fully?
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

redsetta

Well spotted on both counts Rob.
Wondered about the dog, too, but hadn't noticed the eccentric.
Good call...
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer