113h/114h senator - short version

Started by alantani, January 25, 2009, 01:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

yup, the dog is upside down.  everything else looks good.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Wow, good eyes guys.  Like find what's wrong in this picture that my kids play.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

GT

Yep the dog is upside down, I made the picture before setting it in the right way.. sorry guys I hope no one sets it wrongly because of my picture.

The different part, I'm not sure on how to call this in english is that the "spring" which is not actually a spring that make the dog move and set in the 115 (9/0) is different from 113 and 114 and also from the 16/0 that I found in another tutorial.

L.

Norcal Pescador

It's a leaf spring of sorts, like on the rear axle of a truck. It's the only kind that would work in this application.  The 114H uses the same type, the 113H and most other conventional Penns use a coil spring.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Fishit 2

Just bought a 114H last week, I ordered the new ht-100 drag washers from ScottB&T but I didn't order the metals - thought I could save a few dollars and use the metals that are in the reel. Do you see any problems with this? Also I ordered 4-115 to put under the main gear, I didn't realize until after reading this thread that you can use an ht-100, what size to I use, the same size as in the drag stack?

I thought you were able to remove the drags on these reels without removing the side plates?
I'm having trouble searching the forum because I'm using the mobile version, thanks for the help..:
Mike
President of the Down Beach High Class Hookers fishing Club.

Dominick

Fishit 2: I believe the metal in the 9/0 is chromed bronze, so you need to change the metal.  You should have purchased the kit.  The HT-100 will chew up the bronze and you will have metal filings floating around in the reel.  Not a good thing of course.  I think you can order the metal from Scotts or Dawn at Smoothdrags, but you need to put an HT-100 under the gear.  The size is the same as the drag stack.  To get under the gear you need to take the reel apart.  At this point if I were you I would order the kit which contains the drags and the metals, use one of the HT-100s that you received under the gear and you'll end up with 2 extra drag disks.  Offer them up on this site, someone will probably need one for under the gear.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Fishit 2

I bought the kit from ScottB&T, I also ordered new drags for my Squidders - 140 and 146. I decided to try the 146 since it seemed like the easiest of my reels to work on, but I was wrong. I opened the 146 drag stack and found 1 bronze metal washer and one plastic looking washer. I put the new drag washers in(got the metals for this reel) but I can't seem to get the reel back together - I'm screwed. Im going to have to look for a reel repair place here in South Jersey.

I'm going to order the metal HT-100 washers from Scott's now for my 114H, it probably also has the bronze washers in it and I don't want to be in the same position I'm with currently with my 146 Squidder. Thanks for the reply
President of the Down Beach High Class Hookers fishing Club.

Irish Jigger

Welcome to the site,Fishit2. Don't give up on your Squidder yet and  look at the Tutorial in the link here.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=30.0

Let's know where the problem is and you will get all the help and advice you need here.
Remember  the old idiom, "A problem shared is a problem halved". ;)

Bryan Young

Aloha Fishit 2,

Don't worry about the brass washers.  We use them all of the time.  There's nothing to worry about if you grease the drag washers.

Don't give up yet.  I'm working on one, and it cannot be as bad.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

maine guide

I just stripped cleaned lubed a 3/0 and 4/0 black this weekend after ordering new washers and HT-100's from Scott's. The converting to 5+1 and dremelling got me thinking. How much of a problem would it be to just do 4+1?  On one I did

HT
Keyed
HT
Eared
HT
Eared
HT
Keyed

And on the other I did

HT
Keyed
HT
Eared
HT
Keyed
HT
Keyed

With HT under main gear in both cases
Still getting plenty of drag range (sorry no scale).

What is the downside to this if any?

Alto Mare

Maine guide, that was good thinking. Unfortunately the Ht between the two eared washers will stay put and create no additional drag. In another word, its functionality will be more as a spacer. I'm curious to hear on what you came up with, as far as drag with the back to back eared washers, any additional friction?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

This is related to what you were trying to do: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4045.0
click on the link at the top of the topic once you get there, I couldn't move it.
Penn eliminated the eared washers here....I believe that they're moving in the right direction.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

maine guide

Thanks Sal for the quick response. I will grab a scale and test it and let you know what I have

Keta

What is your thinking about 4+1 over 5+1 drag stack?  I always try to stuff as many washers into the gear as I can get.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

you have to have one drag under the main gear and an odd number on top. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!