Setting Drag To Another Level-Torque Method

Started by BassMatt, December 09, 2011, 02:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BassMatt

I have a technical way I created of presetting drag settings consistently on my reels (baitcaster) I would like to share and see what yall think.
I thought of the idea knowing that drag is nothing more than torque. So that gave me the idea of using a torque driver to set my drags the same way and its easy every time I go out.

All my reels are the same, Revo STX, which has a 10mm nut on the handle. I put the socket on the end of the wrench, loosen the drag, thumb on the spool, twist the tool on the handle nut, and tighten the drag before the wrench clicks, or reached its torque setting, move on to the next reel.

I'm sure different reels would require different settings, but the principal is the same. It took me a little while to find the "ideal spot" drag setting for each pound test. Some can use this, some may think it's techno over kill, but I'm always looking for ways to take fishing reels to another level.

Matt

After all the comments and reviews on the topic, I have attached the latest PDF file of the report below:

alantani

if you didn't have a scale, i think it would be the next best thing.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BassMatt

I tried line scales in the beginning and did not like the time it took to for the setup, trying to read the average force when the drag slipped, while apply force. To me it was just guessing at the setting. Using the wrench, it takes no time, applies the same setting every time and you don't even need line on the spool to set it.

Keta

This will work for the reels drag setting but does not account for the friction from the rod guides.  When I'm albacore fishing it does not matter (I set the albacore trolling reels on the charter boat by feel) but for cow YFT I'd still use a scale and reset the drag at the start of the day.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

yeah, figure the guides will add 10%.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BassMatt

There's no doubt that doing the initial calculations to figure the settings is trivial. I'm sure if someone had the time and the knowhow, could figure in all the external variables; friction, water density, angles, etc, etc. (like putting together an excel file)
I thought about all this while setting up this "Torque" method for presetting drags and decided not to get too wrapped up in the physics of this. All I really wanted was to set my drags the same every time I changed out line, cleaned my reels, or right before going on a fishing trip since sometimes I adjust the drag after fishing from the last trip.
However I also know that the numbers will change such as how much line is on the reel. It will take more torque on a full spool (less drag) than a spool half empty (more drag), which means drag settings will change while losing line (I think I have this right?) How much this affects, is the unknown. That's why it takes some adjusting and playing with to find the sweet spot setting for each reel type and line. That gets me close enough knowing my drag is not to lose or too tight quickly and effectively using this "Torque" method.

Keta

For your fishing you are running a much higher % of line breaking strength than I do (30% up to 80lb and 30-34 pounds for 130lb and 200lb at strike, some of my reels will ramp up to the mid 40s at full but I can't take that much for long) so being close is more important.  I do like the torque idea for shop use.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

BassMatt

I used to run at setting of 6 in-lbs (lower %),but my hooksets were peeling drag on the pull back, so i moved it to 10 in-lbs for 15 pound braid and it works just right, while still leaving drag for 5lb bass.

Keta

Completely different from my fishing.   I quit "setting" hooks years ago but I'm not trying to pull large tuna out of submerged timber and weeds.

Mark Twain

BassMatt

No doubt Keta. Its different. I would think you could still set your your reels up to use in saltwater fishing, just with a higher setting. I normally do all my adjustments in the shop, where on the water time is to valuable.

Dominick

Quote from: BassMatt on December 09, 2011, 11:25:01 PM
However I also know that the numbers will change such as how much line is on the reel. It will take more torque on a full spool (more drag) than a spool half empty (less drag), which means drag settings will change while losing line (I think I have this right?)
BassMatt:  you reversed it.  More drag on half spool, less drag on full spool.  At any rate if you factor in the rest of the drag, just add 10% and you should be right on.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

BassMatt

Your right Pescachaser, I figured I would have mixed that up, thats why I had to question myself. You are right about the 10% add on, based on actual vs caculated, it seems I have to always set the wrench to a slighly higher setting for the desired results.

Dominick

Quote from: BassMatt on December 11, 2011, 02:05:06 PM
Your right Pescachaser, I figured I would have mixed that up, thats why I had to question myself. You are right about the 10% add on, based on actual vs caculated, it seems I have to always set the wrench to a slighly higher setting for the desired results.

I would think this one through also.  I did not mean add 10% on to the drag, I meant in figuring out the drag add 10%.  To set the drag and you want to compensate for the 10%, then you would set it for 10% less.  I think I'll put the bottle of wine away, I am confusing myself ???.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

BassMatt

It can get confusing real fast if you over think it (actually the wine would probably help). Although you have challenged me to do an experiment and dust off my digital scale and do a comparison. Keep in mind the tool I have (Whia) is calibrated from 7.5 to 20 in/lbs. So trying to read a value similar to what saltwater guys use, I cannot without getting a wrench with higher calibrations or settings. I have not tried this with any other reel or tool.
The reel I used was a Revo STX with 15 pound ultracast braid. My readings were the average pounds with a slow constant pull on the reel.

Here's my results (as tested in order):
Setting on Wrench in/lb-Constant Pull in Pounds
10-2
13-3
16-4
20-5
16-4
13-3.05
10-2.12
8-2
11-3
18-4.15
17-4.02
12-3.04
9-2.07
7.5-2
20-5.03

For me, the best initial setting I use is 10 and go from there. Anything over that (15-20 in/lb) starts to make my line dig in the spool. Plus, I got tired of breaking fish off, so I tend to stay on the safe side and this seems to work the best for me.
Most of these the number are consistent. At the level I'm using, the constant multiplier seems to be about 4 to get the poundage. Whia only makes a wrench that goes up to a 70 in/lb, or I would assume up to 17-18 pounds based on these results. So getting anything higher would take another type of wrench.