Stainless Newell Gears

Started by Dawn, June 06, 2013, 02:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

The old 4 stack may prove even stronger without the worry of the sprocket cutting into the bottom CF that is shielded with the factory washer. I will find out soon. 4.8 to 1 also gives just a tiny bit extra leverage on the handle than the 5 to 1 but probably hard to measure.

Bryan Young

I personally like the design better that way you can use a larger undergear drag washer that will not get damaged by the rachet.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Joel.B

Dawn

Joel if you asking about the gear, yes.

Dawn
Dawn

Newell Nut

Dawn
I just opened the package with the gear and noticed that the gear is not cut very deep. When I put the washers in dry I have two left over above the surface.

Dwight

Newell Nut

Found the problem. The metal washers are too thick. I just opened Bryan's package and the washers fit as they should and his metal washers are a lot thinner than the ones you sent me.

Joel.B

Quote from: Newell Nut on July 25, 2013, 11:53:30 PM
Dawn
I just opened the package with the gear and noticed that the gear is not cut very deep. When I put the washers in dry I have two left over above the surface.

Dwight

WIll my standard Jigmaster drags work in these?

Dawn

Joel, yes.  Newell Nut is working on a 5 drag stack.   3 drag stack no problems.
Dawn

Joel.B

Okee-dokee

I guess I better try a set

Newell Nut

Bryan

Wish I had time to have put your set in a reel last night. I smoked some drags today with big AJs and cobias and snapper. It was a great day to test equipment. I caught all of my fish with a G338 that I converted to a 332 and a 322 with 30 lb Momoi Diamond. The rods were Calstar 800M and 700L and they worked great.

Dwight

Bryan Young

Quote from: Joel.B on July 26, 2013, 03:54:30 PM
Okee-dokee

I guess I better try a set
Joel, I though you have a set of my drags kit?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

I got a chance to get my first test done today. I used the new gears in a Newell 332 and Bryan's 5 stack drags. I did a straight pull with my scale hooked to my vise and got 24 lb as Sal did. There was some left on the star so I decided to push it. Tightened the star some more and then ran out of the garage to end of the driveway. Still only 24 lb but still very smooth.
The gears are a problem. They seem to work okay but have a bad roaring noise. I guess the pinion and gear just don't mesh well. There is not much resistance to turning the handle but that roar can't be good. Afraid to fish with it like that so I will disassemble and put the drags in the Newell gears and test again for drag rating.

Dwight

Black Pearl

Quote from: Newell Nut on July 27, 2013, 10:48:13 PM
I got a chance to get my first test done today. I used the new gears in a Newell 332 and Bryan's 5 stack drags. I did a straight pull with my scale hooked to my vise and got 24 lb as Sal did. There was some left on the star so I decided to push it. Tightened the star some more and then ran out of the garage to end of the driveway. Still only 24 lb but still very smooth.
The gears are a problem. They seem to work okay but have a bad roaring noise. I guess the pinion and gear just don't mesh well. There is not much resistance to turning the handle but that roar can't be good. Afraid to fish with it like that so I will disassemble and put the drags in the Newell gears and test again for drag rating.

Dwight

Please note that if the meshing is not too good between the main and pinion gears, it will have a roaring noise. Eventually, both gears will mesh better, and the noise will go away after period of time.

I don't think it will have any problem to fish with those gears.

Newell Nut

Thanks for the encouragement. I just put the gear and pinion into my brass tumbler and will leave them in there for a couple hours of polishing and try again in the morning.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Newell Nut on July 28, 2013, 12:12:57 AM
Thanks for the encouragement. I just put the gear and pinion into my brass tumbler and will leave them in there for a couple hours of polishing and try again in the morning.

One more thing, you might want to check out if those teeth on the main and pinion when they are under stress. If those teeth are thin, they might shred. It happened to Accurate, and it was the reason Accurate stop making them.

Just double checking them.....