Stainless Newell Gears

Started by Dawn, June 06, 2013, 02:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

I have successfully completed my test. Removed the parts from the tumbler and then took a small bore brush and some flitz polish and polished the pinion ID. Put everything back together and no noise. I decided to simulate a hard day of fishing. Tightened the drag to 21 lb and ran to the end of the driveway 20 times and decided to stop after the handle nut got really hot. Waited 5 minutes and tightened the star hard and decided to see what the parts could take. One more dash out of the garage and the drag chattered a bit and then the line snapped. I walked back to the scale and was amazed to see 33 lb on the scale. Set the rod down to let everything cool down since the handle even got hot.

After cooling I disassembled everything and found everything in very good condition. The under gear CF was just as it was when I first put it in. Using a 10x magnifier I could see the machining marks on the edge of the gear teeth starting to wear where contacting the pinion. These are really fine machining marks so I see no worry and will check them in a year or so. Cleaned the blackened Cals off the parts and reassembled and now ready to fish with confidence.

While the reel was cooling I did some line break test. Momoi 30 diamond is .59mm and momoi hi catch 40 is .60mm. The Momoi 30 diamond broke repeatedly at 40 lb. The 40 hi catch broke repeatedly at 32 lb.

Good job by everyone involved with the new gears and the 5 stack drags.

Dwight

BMITCH

Great write up and test Dwight. I agree with your findings on the mono. I only use the Momoi diamond. Excellent line IMO. Thanks for the time and report.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Newell Nut

Bob

This is the same length of line that got fished really hard Friday and then all the dry runs through the guides really impressed me today. The line itself did not break. I had the 40 Yo Zuri Flurocarbon tied on with back to back uni knots from yesterday and had it tied to the scale. The knot finally gave up after all of that stress. You can guess what my go to set up will continue to be.
On my 500 series reels I use the 40 diamond and 60 for a leader unless the snappers are too picky and then I go 40-40.

Joel.B

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 26, 2013, 09:44:30 PM
Quote from: Joel.B on July 26, 2013, 03:54:30 PM
Okee-dokee

I guess I better try a set
Joel, I though you have a set of my drags kit?

I do, but I am putting those in a 501 that I plan on pushing to it's limits.  These Newell gears will go in a 506 for my friend

Bryan Young

Thanks Dwight for the test.  33#?  Wow, that's a lot of drag.  I can see why there would be a little chatter.  There are not too many reels and drag systems designed and capable to be smooth at such high resistance.  I would say that those are more lever drag reels as they have brake systems that are most similar to a car.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

Again a great job on your part. I found the limit for you but I would not try to fish there and the washers with tabs could shear off too. The 24 area was really smooth and that is why I gave you another order.

I am looking forward to the 5 stack 500 series and I will need 3 sets for my 540 3.2s. They should be really smooth at 30 to 35 and max at around 40.

I believe you could make the washers with the tabs about .005 thicker for safety and not have a problem with spacing. (just a thought)

Newell Nut

Pulled in a couple 30 plus pound AJs with the new gears and 5 stack drags in my 338 and all performed perfectly.

Alto Mare

Nice Dwight.
As you probably already know, I don't have any Newell reels. I have worked on some, but don't remember which ones. Is the 338 close in size to the Penn 500? Also, how wide is the spool. I'm thinking that I should own at least one ;D .
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

Basically the same as a 500. The 338 spool width is 2 3/8. The 332 is 2 1/16. If case you have not seen the post on numbering, the 338 represents 380 yds of 30 mono and the 332 is 320 yds of 30 mono.

When a Tiburon frame is added that become really robust reels.

Newell Nut

Just another update on a great day with Dawn's gears and Byran's 5 stack drags. Caught 3 8 lb mangrove snapper and two 30 lb red snappers today with the Newell 332 with both products that I previously tested in the garage.
Smooth as silk today and plenty of meat for the freezer. Great job on the new parts.

Alto Mare

Nice Dwight, thanks for the update.
Wouldn't mind having one of those red snappers right about now.

Newell Nut

Sal

The season has been closed for 5 years so we have to vent and throw back. The numbers are rapidly increasing and the sizes are really nice. The Feds are giving us Aug 23, 24 and 25 and no size limit this year but they are usually 20 to 40 lb. They gave us 2 weekends last September.

I am booked already for a trip on the 25th for a 12 hr trip. I am doing a commercial Mangrove Snapper trip Friday and that is one you should do with me sometime for Real REEL fun.

Dwight

Alto Mare

I wish I could join you Dwight :(, my boat hasn't hit the water yet this year :-\.
Catch and release is also fun, I usually do a little of that on the northern Chesapeake with Stripers, in early spring.
Sal

floating doc

Quote from: Newell Nut on August 14, 2013, 08:21:19 AM
Sal

The season has been closed for 5 years so we have to vent and throw back. The numbers are rapidly increasing and the sizes are really nice. The Feds are giving us Aug 23, 24 and 25 and no size limit this year but they are usually 20 to 40 lb. They gave us 2 weekends last September.

I am booked already for a trip on the 25th for a 12 hr trip. I am doing a commercial Mangrove Snapper trip Friday and that is one you should do with me sometime for Real REEL fun.

Dwight

Where are you fishing? I'm in central Florida. I'm looking at the opening of Gulf red snapper in October as my next shot. I would have to drive 7+ hours to near Destin to fish with my friends there.
Central Florida