What to do with a new Penn 115L2?

Started by JasonF, June 11, 2012, 01:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

suitekids

Quote from: suitekids on June 11, 2012, 10:23:26 PM
Thanks Sal, I'll get one of the 6/0 Accurate gears in comparison too, you know the one's you get when I'm done.  ;)

Here ya go Sal, read it and weep  :'(

Dominick

Hey Suitekids:  will you take care of Sal's pals (meaning moi)..  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

I never thought it would be so hard to get those :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

JasonF

I spoke to Penn today.  According to their service rep the 115L and L2 parts are interchangeable with the exception of the cheesy plastic part that connects to the reel seat.  I am amazed that any 50# class reel would use plastic in that place.  That will become irelevent when I put on the Accuframe.

Because of the interchangeability, and the fact that I had a $100 Academy gift card to blow, I bought the L2.  Cost me $50.  I am going to open this puppy up when my frame arrives and photograph the innards to see if you pros notice anything odd or different from the norm I should look out for.  Alan has my gear sleeve on the way, but Lee is out of dogs for the time being (anyone have an extra pair to sell!?).  I can machine a set if I have to.  Would the specs on both dogs of a double dog set up be identical to the one currently in the reel?

You guys have been incredibly helpful and it is appreciated!

suitekids

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 13, 2012, 12:52:41 AM
I never thought it would be so hard to get those :-\.

Sal, I will tell te first mate if I should meet ole Davey Jones's locker, she is to send the reel to you, the rest go to my boys, best I can do........Dan

Alto Mare

Jason, the parts on that reel might be the same, but might be of lesser quality. I know this for a fact on the spinners, but never purchased a Senator ending with a #2. Just grease it up nicely and you should be fine. The dogs are the same as the stock, if you need them to engage at the same time, all you do is file a little off the tip of one. Here is a shot of what I'm talking about, I don't have a 9/0 opened this is a 10/0.

The gear is tilted a bit and  seams like one is off, they are both engaging at the same time.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: JasonF on June 13, 2012, 12:59:32 AM
(anyone have an extra pair to sell!?).  You guys have been incredibly helpful and it is appreciated!
pm me your address and I will send you a couple.  Dominick

Alto Mare

Are you telling me that you got yours before me? Time for a meeting with Lee ;D.
Stop bribing people with your cannolis...it's illegal ;D

JasonF

Thanks Dominick!  Ill PM you.

I want the dogs to engage alternately assuming that will cut down on the reverse.

This is what really bothers me about this reel.  Four rivets through plastic is all that keeps the rod and reel in one piece.  What the heck?!

JasonF

.......And one other question.  Is the knob of this reel removeable from the handle arm without drilling?  I want to put a T bar handle on and keep the factory arm.

Alto Mare

No, you will need to drill the rivet. It's not a big deal.

Makule

QuoteFour rivets through plastic is all that keeps the rod and reel in one piece.

One assumes the rivets could be removed and replaced with bolts and nuts, but the weak link would then be the "plastic" (whatever that material actually is).  Abu fastened the reel seat to the reel frame using rivets too, if I recall correctly, and had problems with the seat coming off (buy may have been due to electrolysis rather than wear).

In any case, if there is a problem, you can bet that someone here will figure out a solution.  There's no lack of genius here.  As the really smart guy who started this Forum has advised us, get the reel, take it apart and see what's going on.  Then deal with the problems until the reel works as it should.  It would be quite unusual for a reel to be "perfect" straight out of the box.  If that were the case, there wouldn't be so many modifications being made (and people having fun).
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Makule

Quote from: JasonF on June 13, 2012, 02:32:07 AM
.......And one other question.  Is the knob of this reel removeable from the handle arm without drilling?  I want to put a T bar handle on and keep the factory arm.

I vote get an after market handle.  They are very good.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

George4741

Quote from: JasonF on June 13, 2012, 02:12:20 AM
This is what really bothers me about this reel.  Four rivets through plastic is all that keeps the rod and reel in one piece.  What the heck?!

This plastic (graphite?) frame worries me, too.  Many of us have read reports of how some graphite reels fail when pushed much beyond 20lb drag. :o

It might be time for a different frame/reel seat. ;) 
viurem lliures o morirem