What to do with a new Penn 115L2?

Started by JasonF, June 11, 2012, 01:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I knew that you were pulling my leg Jasen...you're a machinist ;D.
We should send that picture directly to Penn Headquarters ;D
Very good job ;).
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

JasonF

Far from a machinist!  Thanks though.  I am trying to reassemble now.  Not easy.  I cannot figure out how to get the dogs under spring tension without access to them since they are covered by the brass half moon shaped thingy.

Makule

Quote from: JasonF on June 15, 2012, 11:57:01 PM
Here is my completed double dog set up.  Does it look like it will work?

Isn't the left side spring pushing the dog away instead of towards?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

JasonF

No.  It will be under tension pointing down.

Troubleshooting time.  Reminder, this is my first Senator much less first time taking one apart so forgive my ignorance!  I got my right side assembled.  Both dogs are engaging (sounds cool btw!).  When I go in and out of freespool the eccentric looks right and the little gear in the center goes up and down like I think it is supposed to.  When I assembled the reel it is not engaging in retrieve.

Any ideas?

This reel is gonna drive me to drinkin'!  ???

Alto Mare

Souds like its getting caught somewhere. Start by cutting 1/8" off the lower section of that new spring on the right and see if that helps.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

JasonF

Tried that.  Still not engageing.  I am stumped.  Eveything assembles easily (once I figured out how).  Freespool is smooth.  Im done with this thing for tonight!  >:(

suitekids

also check to make sure you have the bridge screws going thru the yoke have the smooth shoulder, if not the yoke will hang up on the threads, and tighten up the star drag or the main gear will just spin, simple thing we all have done in the learning curve

suitekids

OK Jason, time to get up and fix that reel bro!!!!

George4741

Yep, very nice custom work, Jason.

Quote from: JasonF on June 15, 2012, 11:57:01 PM
Here is my completed double dog set up.  Does it look like it will work?

I also like your tabletop. ;) 
viurem lliures o morirem

JasonF

Quote from: suitekids on June 16, 2012, 01:58:51 PM
OK Jason, time to get up and fix that reel bro!!!!

Funny that you say that seeing that it is 2 pm central and I just woke up!

Alto Mare

Jason, are you using the stock yoke or a ss yoke?

JasonF

It is still the stock yoke.  ss should be here this week.  I am going to put that in when I put in the Accuframe.

Here is a little trick to make life MUCH easier when assembling any double dog senator.  Simply take two paperclips and straighten them.  Bend the ends to 90 deg and put the dogs under tension.  Tape the outer end in place.  Install your saddle and gear sleeve.  Hold in place the remove the tape removing the wires. 

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

That's a great tip Jason. Hey, maybe it will even make picture of the month :-\.
If that reel is still open, try flipping the yoke, it might help.

JasonF

Thanks guys!  I do not even want to admit what the problem was.....I didnt have my drag tightened down!!!!  Eveything works great!  Only problem is that I thought that the handle bolt from a 114 would work on this gear sleeve.  Aparantly not.  Was this (Alan's) gear sleeve made specifically for the 115 and if so does the 115 have its own size handle nut?  I do not have one because of the configuration of the 115L2 gear sleeve.