What to do with a new Penn 115L2?

Started by JasonF, June 11, 2012, 01:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 13, 2012, 02:05:30 AM
Are you telling me that you got yours before me? Time for a meeting with Lee ;D.
Stop bribing people with your cannolis...it's illegal ;D

They got them before I did, the first run of 115 dogs should be done this week.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

JasonF

Does anyone have a link to a take apart-put together thread for this reel?  I am still new to this stuff and do not want to break into it for the first time without instructions.

redsetta

G'day Jason,
Sal's the 'go to' guy for these big Senators.
Try these (while they're not the 115, they should do the trick):
Let us know if you run into any issues etc.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

JasonF

Assuming that the only difference between the 9/0 and 16/0 is size, the thread for the 16/0 is just what I needed.  Thanks!  Now I just have to wait for the frame and SS parts to arrive.

JasonF

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 13, 2012, 02:35:01 AM
No, you will need to drill the rivet. It's not a big deal.

I recently drilled a knob off of a Shimano Talica, but that was easy because the rivet was flat and had a little dent in the center so centering the bit was easy.  This reel has a rounded rivet which would be more difficult.  Any idea of what bit size I should use?

Makule

Quote from: JasonF on June 14, 2012, 01:20:42 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on June 13, 2012, 02:35:01 AM
No, you will need to drill the rivet. It's not a big deal.

I recently drilled a knob off of a Shimano Talica, but that was easy because the rivet was flat and had a little dent in the center so centering the bit was easy.  This reel has a rounded rivet which would be more difficult.  Any idea of what bit size I should use?

Should be either 1/4" or 5/16".  File the rounded surface flat with a file and punch a starting point/hole.  Then begin with a 1/8" bit and work you way up.  Be very careful not to enlarge the hole.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

JasonF

Ok, given the fact that this reel has HT100 drag washers, all that I should do to them is a coat of drag grease to improve start up, correct?  Do I need to replace/upgrade anything in the drag stack?

And btw.....I picked up a heavy Calstar Graphiter blank today for the rod.  I am going to keep the rod simple, Aftco HD rollers, Alps reel seet, no slick butt and a Alps gimbal.  Should look and perform well.

JasonF

Got my parts except the Accuframe so I am getting started but am already stuck.  How does the brass gear sleeve come off of the threaded thingy that it is on?  I do not want to strip anything.

suitekids

Quote from: JasonF on June 15, 2012, 09:05:42 PM
Got my parts except the Accuframe so I am getting started but am already stuck.  How does the brass gear sleeve come off of the threaded thingy that it is on?  I do not want to strip anything.

Jas, at the bottom of the threads there is a hole that goes thru the sleeve, look closely, there is a small pin in there, take a small punch and tap it thru the other side, and the sleeve will then slide off the shaft, to install reverse the procedure, but cleane the shft and lightly grease with marine grease, take a q-tip with some alcohol and run it thre the new sleeve till the q-tip remains white, just some cutting oil in there from being made, then just slap it together

JasonF

Thanks.  What about the top threaded part that the handle nut goes on?  As you can see in the photo it is part of the brass sleeve but absent on the SS sleeve.  Do I need to just get a bolt to install my handle?

suitekids

That's the new chinese model sleeve, you need to aquire the the old style nut/screw that screws into the SS sleeve, and you are getting another handle right?

23-116 handle screw
110-60 handle lock screw

JasonF

Yep, and the sleeve went on just fine.  Thanks!

suitekids

it also looks to me that the top mounted thread adapter has an allen type recess, that might screw out and screw back into the new SS sleeve, provided it's not metric thread, then you can re-use your handle that came with it, otherwise you will need to replace the handle with the USA type, and get the parts I mentioned above

JasonF

No, I thought the same but it is just a hole.  The sleeve is hollow and non-threaded on the inside.

....and a side note for any future 115L2 owners who are putting in a steel sleeve, the pin on this reel is too tight for Alan's SS sleeve.  Sand a few thousandths off the pin diameter or you will mushroom the pin.

JasonF

Here is my completed double dog set up.  Does it look like it will work?