What to do with a new Penn 115L2?

Started by JasonF, June 11, 2012, 01:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

That is funny Jason, but I'm glad that you worked it out. The handle nut is the same as the 114H.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/23-116.aspx
Let me know if you want me to send you one.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

JasonF

That is odd.  The one that I have here says 23-114 on it and as you can see it is drastically smaller than the hole.  Is that what yours says?

Alto Mare

Yes, it gets a little confusing. The 23-114 will fit the 113 H
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Harry

I am watching the progress of this upgrade too with interest Jason.

Jazzcat

Jason your making that into a nice reel.
I need to send you mine ! 

I picked up 2 of them off ebay for pulling leadcore the first time I used one of them the clicker spring broke away from the side plate.
It appeared to have been stripped at the factory.  I found a slightly larger screw and replaced it with a bit of epoxy.  (thats prob not the way to fix it.) but it has worked for a year.
Your doing a good job,
thanks for posting
Danny

JasonF

Thanks for the kind words.  I am at a stand still on this reel until the rest of my parts get here.  It is giving me a chance to work on the rod build.  I went with a Calstar Boomer Jr for my blank.  This is going to be a sweet custom outfit and I cannot wait to take on YFT, AJ and sharks with this puppy!  All that I have left to do is 10 minutes of work putting on the Accuframe. 

Harry

I wanna see photos of the finished upgraded product since i wont be the one fishin with it .

cheers Harry

JasonF

JasonF

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a SS main gear available for this reel?

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

Quote from: JasonF on June 17, 2012, 12:39:59 AM
That is odd.  The one that I have here says 23-114 on it and as you can see it is drastically smaller than the hole.  Is that what yours says?

i missed this.  what's happening ????
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

You might get lucky finding a ss main gear from an anniversary 114hl :-\. You know, if someone would come up with the Accurate 3.25:1 gear set, this reel would be hard to beat.

JasonF

Alan, Sal solved the problem in that photo for me.  I thought that the 114 handle bolt was appropriate for you sleeve.  He is sending me a 116 bolt which he said is the correct thread size.  No biggy.

Sal, is that a rare find?  Also, would that require replacing the stock pinion as well?

I ordered my Accuframe from Berinson Tackle, and I emailed them today to see when it will be here.  He said it takes 7-10 days after ordering before it ships.  Bummer.  I am anxious to get this reel wet.  I know....I dont NEED the accuframe to fish it, just WANT it!!!:)

Alto Mare

You should have received it by now, I mailed it on Monday morning.
About the gear, yes they are rare to find, most replace them with the brass. If you find a 114HL from the anniversary serie brand wnew, I'm sure that the gears are stainless steel. This was a short run, but the ratio is 2.8:1.
The main Penn gear will work on the 9/0, but the accurate won't, you will also need the pinion, unless we'll find a way to move the bridge 1/16" toward the pinion :-\ . I do not mind the slower ratio on this reel.

JasonF

The good news for me is that my new handle and handle bolt (thanks again, Sal!) came in the mail today, the bad news is that 23-116 is identical to 23-114 as you can see in the photo below.  I have no idea what the thread size is on this gear sleeve.  I am heading to the hardware store now to find out.