What to do with a new Penn 115L2?

Started by JasonF, June 11, 2012, 01:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonF

I am more into light tackle, but I want one inexpensive 9/0 on the boat for a bit of shark fishing when the other bites are off.i think a Senator would be just the ticket so I am heading to Academy to pick one up in the morning.  Thanks to this site I have a new found love for taking apart my reels, so I plan to take apart this Senator.  When I do, can anyone recommend any upgrades or things to do to this reel to get the best performance and longjevity out of it other than the obvious lube?  Cheers! J

suitekids

Keta has SS dogs, Alan has SS gear sleeves, Dawn and charkbait have SS yokes, that's a pretty good start, pick up some Cals drag grease and you will be good to go, I'm sure the masters will pipe up soon!....Dan

JasonF

How is the quality, and of what material are the drag washers in it?

suitekids

HT100 carbon fiber. the quality of the china manufactured reels I cannot vouch for, I don't own any, so no experience with them, but here is a list of stuff that's in them.

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn115L2.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

JasonF

Thanks for that.  Before I go to Academy to buy the 115L2 I am going to call around and try to find an American 115L.  I know that it is a long shot, although I found one online vendor selling them.

Alto Mare

Good call! Get yourself that reel and we will help transform it into one of the best 40lb reels around.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

JasonF

If I do buy the L2 model, will standard 115L parts be a direct fit when the need comes?

Irish Jigger

Good question,I would not take that chance and would go for a USA model.

Makule

Why not just get a second hand reel that's USA made?  Lots of used 9/0 around for sale.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Alto Mare

I would go with these two guys above here, they know what they're talking about ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

suitekids

Quote from: suitekids on June 11, 2012, 01:35:18 AM
Keta has SS dogs, Alan has SS gear sleeves, Dawn and charkbait have SS yokes, that's a pretty good start, pick up some Cals drag grease and you will be good to go, I'm sure the masters will pipe up soon!....Dan

Just a shot of the things I mentioned above, The gear sleeve is for a 6/0 and 9/0 reel, definately a serious upgrade!!!

Alto Mare

Nice shot of the upgrades Dan, you always take some nice pictures ;).

suitekids

Thanks Sal, I'll get one of the 6/0 Accurate gears in comparison too, you know the one's you get when I'm done.  ;)

JasonF

That photo shows the obvious quality difference of the factory vs SS parts.  Will definitely do those upgrades.  I see two two anti-reverse thingies (dont laugh, Im no pro here! :)).  Is this reel set up to be able to use two or is a modification needed?

I tried to order a US made today and the one place that had them advertised only have L2's now so the search continues.  I have had a WTB posted on 360 Tuna for weeks but have had no luck.  If anyone here knows of a new or used one in good condition for sale please let me know.  Worst case scenario, I will get the L2 and photograph the disassembly process so we can all benefit from knowing what Chinese made guts look like for this reel, and figure out compatibility issues.

Alto, my plan is to blaitantly be a copycat and set this reel up like you have yours.  That thing is frigging sweet!  I found an accuframe online but it is gold.  Might just have to have the silver parts gold plated to match!  ;). I think simply taking some greased lightening to it making it silver then buffing it would be smarter.

And one last dumb question.....what is the purpose of the strap thingy on the bigger senators that goes around the rod to the harness lugs on the front?  I am guessing to counter the force put on the reel when fighting from a chair?

Makule

QuoteIs this reel set up to be able to use two or is a modification needed?
Modification needed.  See other thread on this mod.  The "thingies" are called anti-reverse dogs.  Woof, woof.

Quotewhat is the purpose of the strap thingy on the bigger senators that goes around the rod to the harness lugs on the front?  I am guessing to counter the force put on the reel when fighting from a chair?

The strap on the front goes around the rod, and is there to counter the pull from the top harness lugs when a shoulder or waist harness is used.  Without using it, there is too much pressure applied to the reel seat.

QuoteIf anyone here knows of a new or used one in good condition for sale please let me know.

Search Craigslist using Search Tempest, or try Ebay.  Be aware that there are different spools (3--piece, cast bronze, and aluminum), different bearings (BB versus bronze bushings), color side plates.  Stay away from the 3-piece spools is you plan on fishing the reel (which is what you said you were planning to do).  The cast bronze is the strongest and also heavier than the aluminum.  BB are the newer style and probably most common.

You should be able to find a good deal in the $75 - $90 range on Clist, maybe better.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.