What to do with a new Penn 115L2?

Started by JasonF, June 11, 2012, 01:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonF

.....and the hardware place (a specialty fastener shop) said that either there was an error in threading the gear sleeve or that it was threaded in an odd thread.  I am tired of dealing with it so I tapped it 5/16-18 and made due.  The little plastic Penn bolt cover made it look not so bad.

Irish Jigger

Whoever made the SS sleeve should be able to confirm the screw thread size. Well done Jason on completing this very interesting project. Good Luck with your reel.

JasonF

Thanks!  But not done yet, still have to put on my frame, but that is easy.  I think that it was an error in the threading given the fact that there was an error on the external threads as well.  They were cut in a saw tooth pattern.  Since the star is made of brass the SS sleeve cut its threads in the same sawtooth.  It works, but this thing has been a mess.  I hope performance makes up for it.

I just started putting on a set of Aftco HD roller guides on the rod today.  We are thinking about running about 75 miles offshore on Fri, so I hopefully will put her to the test!

Alto Mare

I don't know what's going on there Jason. I tested the handle nut on my 6/0 ss sleeve before sending it to you and it worked great :-\. The 23-114 will fit the 113H, the 23-116 should work on your reel. May I ask where you purchased the ss sleeve from? The two that I have came from Alan.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

JasonF

Mine did as well.  He mentioned that it was a test run so he only charged me 27 shipped.  I assumed there may be some kinks to work out, so no big deal.  Im happy with the final product and thats what matters to me.

Alto Mare

Jason, I undestand that you're happy with the final product, but I'm still puzzled by this. You're showing the 23-114 and the 23-116 being the same size, I also have those and mine are not the same size. The 23-114 fits on a 98-320 sleeve and the 23-116 fits on a 98-114 sleeve. Oh well, as long as you're happy with the final product.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Robert Janssen

Quote from: JasonF on June 22, 2012, 12:56:17 AM
Thanks!  But not done yet, still ha think that it was an error in the threading given the fact that there was an error on the external threads as well.  They were cut in a saw tooth pattern.  Since the star is made of brass the SS sleeve cut its threads in the same sawtooth. 

It is called a Buttress thread form, made for a greater axial load in one direction, as opposed to the ISO and UN 60 degree vee form. Penn used it for that very reason in a number of reels.

I don't know which ones, or for how long, or why your star thread may differ.

Alto Mare

I also had some problems with the star thread on my 113H's, but didn't think much of it. The stainless steel sleeve is much harder than the brass star, with a little force it will usually thread itself in. I'm still puzzled with those handle nuts though.

Irish Jigger

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 22, 2012, 08:51:47 AM
I also had some problems with the star thread on my 113H's, but didn't think much of it. The stainless steel sleeve is much harder than the brass star, with a little force it will usually thread itself in. I'm still puzzled with those handle nuts though.

x2  and your star will be loose if fitted to a standard brass sleeve again. :-\

alantani

Quote from: JasonF on June 22, 2012, 04:07:18 AM
Mine did as well.  He mentioned that it was a test run so he only charged me 27 shipped.  I assumed there may be some kinks to work out, so no big deal.  Im happy with the final product and thats what matters to me.

hi, jason!  i'm still buried under a ton of work, but i checked and the handle nut does fit.  for the star, it's tight and it means you have to chase the threads.  i actually prefer it that way.  guys are generally doing this upgrade to put more pressure on the star and the entire drag stack.  but the handle nut?  mine fit!  i can send you another. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JasonF

Trust me, im not delusional!  ;D. In the photo below is both 23-114 and 23-116.  As you can see they are identical.  They both slide into the sleeve without having to screw them in.

I have 100% faith that my solution of tapping and using a stainless nut will work fine.  I would have waited, but I am dying to use it, which I am tommorow!!  This to me is all part of working out bugs in any custom job and should be expected.

Makule

QuoteI have 100% faith that my solution of tapping and using a stainless nut will work fine.

A man wiser than me said, and another more competent than me quoted, "Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will."

If you ever get to the point when your approach didn't work, add it to the reasons why something shouldn't be done and try something else.  You will have learned a lesson by the experience, and we all might learn something too.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

suitekids

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 22, 2012, 06:08:51 AM
Jason, I undestand that you're happy with the final product, but I'm still puzzled by this. You're showing the 23-114 and the 23-116 being the same size, I also have those and mine are not the same size. The 23-114 fits on a 98-320 sleeve and the 23-116 fits on a 98-114 sleeve. Oh well, as long as you're happy with the final product.

x2, I don't understand it either

Makule

Who knows?  Maybe he has a "special" reel.  Maybe the company made a mistake and cut the threads wrong and decided to just use them with a different part to fit instead of throwing away the parts and losing money.  Who knows?

As long as it works, it works, and if it breaks, it'll get replaced with the "right" part.  My reels don't have the "problem", but mine are not from China either.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.