Black Pearl's gears for 500- 505 & 112H

Started by Alto Mare, October 11, 2013, 07:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I don't have the answer yet Dom, they do have my accurate reel, maybe they'll come up with an answer :-\.
Alan has some guys that specialize in gears and some that specialize in parts. From the looks of that bridge, these guys know what they're doing....we'll see.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Whether or not they figure it out, at least they got an accurate frame ;D
I'm sure they'll figure it out, too.
Thanks Sal,
Dom

floating doc

Look at what they are trying to do here. A true 5:1 jigmaster/112h gearset capable of twenty-plus pounds of drag. Penn never built anything like this for these reels. That's truly impressive. You know it can't be easy.
Central Florida

Black Pearl

Hi all,

Here is an update on this gear set.

We are going to go back to the drawing board one more time. As I stated before, I wanted to make this gear set would work on all different reel configurations. We are working on it.

Thanks,
--Alan C.

floating doc

Central Florida

jigmaster501

Nothing wrong with a 4:1 gear in stainless. just saying.....

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: jigmaster501 on March 10, 2014, 11:53:10 PM
Nothing wrong with a 4:1 gear in stainless. just saying.....

i think so too. i'll just crank faster when i need to...

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

jigmaster501

4:1 allow you to use the gear is a 501 for bottom fishing and still have enough pulling power and allows you to use the gear in a wider reel for jigging and have enough speed.

Black Pearl

Here is another update on this gear set.

We think that we might have the solution to address the problem. Originally, I had both main and pinion gears made with 316 SS material, but the pinion was stripped when it pull more than 15#. Then, we change the pinion SS material to 416 and heat treated and a modified sleeve spacer (9-60), and it held up to 22# (could be more).

Now, I will have few sets more to do more testing on it by the end of this month.

In summary, this gear set will come with the modified sleeve spacer (12.5mm standard length). This modified sleeve spacer will be required to be installed in the reel. If a reel (Jigmaster 500 or 112H) needs a shorter length sleeve space, it can be sand down to the length as required by the customers.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks,
--Alan

Black Pearl

Here is the another update on this 5:1 gear set.

The test result was great for the Jigmaster 500 or Accurate Jigmaster conversion. Sal was testing the newest gear set with the sleeve spacer. The result was the following from Sal.

"The test was done by pulling a rolling weigh on a flat surface, by using a wagon loaded with bricks. This was a serious test, it takes @ 200lbs. to get to 20lb by turning the handle. I used a 112H, a jigmaster and a full accurate conversion jigmaster." I hope that Sal will post some pictures later.

I think there is a different between the 112H and Jigmaster 500. I don't think we will be able to make this gear set to work with the 112H. In few weeks, I will have few more sets of pinion gear to test again. I am very sure it will work for Jigmaster 500 or Accurate Jigmaster conversion. If the 112H is failed again with the next new improved pinion gear, I will have to forget the 112H and move on.

If there are any questions, please post it here, and I will answer them at once.

Thanks,
--Alan C

Alto Mare

Here are some shots, as Alan mentioned above

and breaking the reels down to check the gears

these handled 22lbs

and the 112H

here is a shot of the damaged gears from the 112H

the 112H failed at around 16lbs

My take on this is that these jigmaster gears could handle 20lb, but I would use the new spacer and Bryan's kit, that one was smoother. I'm still not sure what's causing these gears to fail in the 112H at 16 lbs, we will need to wait and see what Alan's people come up with, I believe they're already working on them.
Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

I think the issue is spool diameter. Because of the larger spool diameter of the 112H there is more force required to get the same drag numbers. Unfortunately I don't see a way around this.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Black Pearl

Quote from: noyb72 on April 28, 2014, 12:22:59 AM
I think the issue is spool diameter. Because of the larger spool diameter of the 112H there is more force required to get the same drag numbers. Unfortunately I don't see a way around this.
Ron

I am wondering if the Global Precision's (on Ebay for $26.00 a set) 5:1 gear set can handle more than 16 lbs.

Ron Jones

I could really be OK with less than 20#s of drag on the 112H. I have a Tuna Special loaded with 60# line and I don't know that this reel of any width would fish heavier than that. I just can't wait to see these on the market.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"